Soft-Percentage9235

Can you decrease the scan time in Studio 5000

11 posts in this topic

Is there any way to decrease the scan time, of tags, between Logix designer and View designer in Studio 5000 its currently at around 500ms? Compactlogix 5380, 5069-L320ER

Logix controllers do not have regularly scheduled input and output scans in the same manner that an older SLC500 did. Logix looks at tags as needed when the code being scanned is utilizing said tags.

As for how much time a controller spends actually scanning tags/code, that is a matter of how many rungs of code, how well the code is written, etc. The only way I know to decrease the scan time is to write and organize the code to scan as efficiently as possible. I don't know of any "gas pedal" we can push to make it scan faster.

I assume you're looking at the scan times in the task monitor(s), yes? You're not looking at the watchdog timer setting? There is a limit to how long the code is allowed to be scanned, which is set by the watchdog timer.  In Logix, each task will have its own watchdog timer with a default setting of 500ms (same as your stated scan time), which can be changed from 0.1 to 2B ms. Whatever value the watchdog timer is set to is the longest amount of time the task is allowed to be scanned before the watchdog timer for that task throws a controller fault. I'm only mentioning this because your stated scan time is (perhaps coincidentally) the same as the watchdog default setting, and I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

Hope this helps. 

1 person likes this

Hi thanks for replying

I am not referring to the scan time of the PLC code. I want to try and increase the refresh rate of a 0-360 degree meter on a HMI. Using Vijeo designer and a schneider PLC this was done by decreasing the scan time in the HMI for tags but I cant see where this is done in view designer or find another way to do it.

In FT View Studio (for the Panelview+ HMIs), each screen has an update rate setting. Look for a similar setting in View Designer.

1 person likes this

Open the HMI screen click anywhere in the display that's on the background, right click and edit the refresh rate of that individual screen.

You have right clicked on an object.  You need to right click in the background of the display.

Gotchya, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

@Joe E. and @pcmccartney1 have given good advice above. Be careful about getting too low on the display update rate because it can take up a lot bandwidth on your network.

So, I created a project in View Designer (v6.01 which installed with Studio 5000 v32). When I right-click on the background of an empty screen, I get a result like OP's screenshots. No refresh rate. Interesting...

Opps!  I have no idea about View Designer.  Thought we were talking FTVME.  Maybe in the project tree and right clicking on the display name?

And now I re-read the OP's original post and it is View Designer.

Edited by pcmccartney1

@pcmccartney1 yeah, I misread the OP, as well. And unfortunately, I'm not well versed in View, either. I'm more of an ME guy and live primarily in FT Studio.