mere

asking for guidance

13 posts in this topic

hi everyone,

i'm new with plc here.. but i need to decide whether omron cp2e-n60dr-a performance is equivalent to cp1l-m40dr-a (my previous project used this type of plc).

can anyone here advice me what are the things that i need to confirm before choosing cp2e as my plc for new project (which is just same as the previous project).

You should be able to find the data sheets on any Omron website.  I see both at the US site here.

https://automation.omron.com/en/us/products/families/programmable-logic-controllers

CP2E is a newer family, and offers Ethernet.  Your original PLC was 40 I/O (hence the 40 in the part number) while the new one you mention is 60.  Was there a reason you need more I/O?

1 person likes this

Yeah i've gone through both datasheet for cp1l & cp2e. 

At the performance specification section, both look the same except at data memory (if i'm not mistaken) and some other specs which cp2e is actually lower. 

Well i'm no genius here, so can you teach me what's that means? Does that means cp2e cannot retrieve accurate data as accurate as cp1l? 

And yeah, i need that 60i/o as i need to add 8 extra safety sensors. Previous 40i/o cp1l only left with 2 spare input pins though. 

Thanks in advance. :-)

As far as your memory requirements, you can change the PLC type of your original program and perform a compile. You can check the memory usage from the View menu. It's only a matter of usage, not performance.

I'm not sure what level of safety you require but you should not be using safety sensors on standard PLC I/O.

1 person likes this

Can you elaborate on the section(s) you need clarified?

From what I can see the CP2 is twice as fast in regards to instruction execution and overhead processing. As for accurate data retrieval I'm not sure what you mean by this.. A 1 will be a 1 and a 0 will be a 0 on both platforms. Speed generally doesn't affect data accuracy unless you're talking about encoders but these have hardware support on both platforms. 

1 person likes this

Thanks @IO_Rack and @photovoltaic, i really appreciate your response.

Btw the safety sensor I'm using is just proximity sensor, just to check whether door is closed or not. I supposed there is no problem with that. As for accurate data retrieval, my concern is actually about the data precision. If cp1l can retrieve precise data such as 0.4125, can cp2e retrieve the same or will it only retrieve 0.41 only maybe? I'm not sure you understand I'm trying to say, but I'd really hope you can understand it.

Or maybe, my concern is actually nothing to worry about? :lookingaround:

1 hour ago, mere said:

Btw the safety sensor I'm using is just proximity sensor, just to check whether door is closed or not. I supposed there is no problem with that. As for accurate data retrieval, my concern is actually about the data precision. If cp1l can retrieve precise data such as 0.4125, can cp2e retrieve the same or will it only retrieve 0.41 only maybe? I'm not sure you understand I'm trying to say, but I'd really hope you can understand it.

There will be no difference in the precision of data on either platform. This is determined by the datatype used and both platforms support the same datatypes

3 hours ago, mere said:

Not sure what safety standard you need to comply with in Malyasia, but if the door must be confirmed closed before action within the cell is permitted to start ; then by US and European Standards you need a Control Reliable Sensor {safety rated sensor} and a Control Reliable Control System {safety PLC or Safety Relay} for that function unless the Risk Analysis proves otherwise.  I'd be cautious saying "it's just a door sensor".  Just 2 cents from a grizzled old automation guy.

On 5/25/2021 at 1:05 AM, photovoltaic said:

There will be no difference in the precision of data on either platform. This is determined by the datatype used and both platforms support the same datatypes

Great! Thanks for the confirmation!

On 5/25/2021 at 3:30 AM, BobLfoot said:

Not sure what safety standard you need to comply with in Malyasia, but if the door must be confirmed closed before action within the cell is permitted to start ; then by US and European Standards you need a Control Reliable Sensor {safety rated sensor} and a Control Reliable Control System {safety PLC or Safety Relay} for that function unless the Risk Analysis proves otherwise.  I'd be cautious saying "it's just a door sensor".  Just 2 cents from a grizzled old automation guy.

So far, I've never seen any standard issue regarding control reliable sensor or control reliable control system yet. As long as there are sensors to ensure safety, the customer is always cool with it. But yeah, that's a good reminder for me though, so I thank you for that.

IF you're looking to educate yourself on the subject - ISO 13849-1 & 13849-2 are worthwhile reading.

Omron also has several free e-learning classes on the topic of safety and safety devices on their website...

www.omronlearning.com

Great thanks @BobLfoot @Crossbow for showing me where to start. It's really helpful. Really 🙃

Any other tips about plc would be helpful too. 

Thanks in advance.