denise01

SD1000 Replacement

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

We use the Parani SD1000 Bluetooth Dongle to remotely connect to our CJ1M and CJ2M PLCs. We have been informed that they have been discontinued but they haven't given us a replacement. Does anyone know of any? The service from Omron UK is terrible now. I always had a good relationship with them but they don't contact us anymore. The pandemic can only be part of the reason.

Regards

Peter

Are your PLCs connected to Ethernet?  You could program them from anywhere on the network if they were.

I've never used Bluetooth to connect to a PLC.

Unfortunately we don't have enough ethernet capacity at our plant so Bluetooth works fine and SD1000 was supported by Omron. I have used EWON before so may have to utilise for serial port connection but more expensive than Bluetooth.

If a wireless device simply passes the data from 1 port to another then you should be able to use a variety of wireless serial gateways. The only compatibility issues I can think of would be the DB9 Pinout. Omron PLCs have no idea if your PC is connected or an SD1000, so it's not that they support that particular module. There is just some tutorials on how to use it. The module is just a true pass-through device and the PLC can't tell the difference. There are many, many similar products out there that I'm sure would work. I have used serial radios with several km range to program PLCs before. The advantage of the Sena is the software configurable settings, many radios you need to explicitly set these.

I have used the Handyport HPS120 (from Handywave) for years without any problems. These are still for sale. If you use it on the CP or CJ PLC's, you can even power it from the 5V on pin 6 of the PLC's serial port. There is also a USB version available to use on your laptop. With the larger antenna you can reach over 100 meters.

The Sena SD1100 is RS422 so what converts the RS232 to RS 422. I have used Communication Cards for NS and Modbus etc but never for a CPU port. Would rather stick with Sena but don't really understand the RS422 criteria