Oliver Micka

Replace CompactLogix L32e to L33er - DH485

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Our supplier told me" CLX L32e is out of date ", and i must confirmed it is possible replaced it to a new model from new Logix Family ( L30,L33,L36 ). 

So, replacing PLC processor is not problem, but the problem ( what i see ) is communicating with the several HMI's in the production line. ( I think, the count is a 6 HMI's ).

Original comms is throught the serial port (dh485), but the new Logix PLC's doesn't have a serial port, only two Ethernet ports and USB.

So, question. How can i communicate between L33ER with the PV550 ( throught to DH485 line ).

Replace all's HMI PV550 is very cost for this time

Edited by Oliver Micka

I installed something like 15 or 20 L32e's in our SCADA system almost 10 years ago. I used an ethernet card rather than the DH485 port. We have no plans to change them. We have PLC 5's that have been obsolete for a very long time. We are just now thinking about replacing them. Cost vs benefit. If what you have ia working, maybe put a spare L32e processor on the shelf (you should already have one) and leave the L32e's in place. 

@Oliver Micka - @Michael Lloyd's advice to purchase a spare L32e or two is your best bet.

You can learn from others here - https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/22480-dh485-to-ethernet/

And checkout the prosoft offering if you're dead set on going ethernet to DH-485.  https://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Gateways/EtherNet-IP/EtherNet-IP-to-DH-485-Gateway

But Let me second @Michael Lloyd's  advice to purchase a spare L32e or two is your best bet.

1 person likes this