Jiggadoo

Stratix 5700 parameters problems

10 posts in this topic

I do have a problem with Stratix 5700 managed switch. I have a system with 3 Stratix 5700 switches with their own systems. If I switch off the power one of the cabinet (including the Stratix) and put the power on again, after that switches are bloking all the trafic in the system for a few seconds. So, linking the system on will make switch to go fault. This can not be correct. What are the minimum settings that is needed to do for the switches, not to go fault during switching power on.

I have made now smartport settings for the switches 'switch for automation' => no progress. Still same.

Edited by Jiggadoo

@Jiggadoo something is being lost in the translation from Finnish to English I am afraid.  That or I am not following your description. Do I understand correct you have three separate automation systems or cells ?  Each Cell has a Stratix 5700 to connect that cells components to others in the cell and to the Plantwide network?  If you power down a cell it takes the stratix 5700 some time to power up and communications to be fully functional again. During that time traffic is blocked.   During this Power Up time period if you try to "link the system" {Note this I do not know what it means} the switch faults.  Did I get what you describe correct?

It has been my understanding that  5700 Switches {and all  Layer 3 Switches for that matter} can take up to 5 minutes to be fully alive.  This is normal and anticipated behavior and should be allowed for in design.

1 person likes this

I believe, by default, the switches freeze all traffic upon detection of a new connection. This is supposed to prevent issues caused by duplicate IP addresses.

So...even though you are not using them as managed switches, you need to turn this feature off. .

Assuming all 3 switches are networked together, when one unit is powered down, then up, the other connected switches freeze traffic for a few seconds. 

Maybe I was explaining my problem badly. There are 3 systems, all are included with stratix 5700 switch. In the 1st cell, there is a CPU with Stratix 5700. In the second cell, there is IO-stations, drives, panels and Stratix 5700 switch and those are controlled by the CPU in the 1st cell. In the 3rd cell, there Stratix 5700 and CPU. Connection is made Cell1 <-> Cell2 <-> Cell3, so from the Cell2 I have connection both switches.

Now, if I power off the Cell3 and power it on again, after few minutes, all the switches will get fault for maybe 15 seconds and after that all will be normal again. If I connect for example programming device to the switch there is not any problems. Why is it so that connecting switches, it will make this connection fault. This is very bad property for our system and it should not happen. Although we have expensive managed switches, it is happening. I believe, lightly managed switches (Stratix) are not doing this.

In our system, powering up the switches with a 5 minutes waiting time is not a problem. Problem is if it will set all the switches to fault state and block the communication with the other cells.

If there is a way to avoid this, please tell me.

3 hours ago, BobLfoot said:

@Jiggadoo something is being lost in the translation from Finnish to English I am afraid.  That or I am not following your description. Do I understand correct you have three separate automation systems or cells ?  Each Cell has a Stratix 5700 to connect that cells components to others in the cell and to the Plantwide network?  If you power down a cell it takes the stratix 5700 some time to power up and communications to be fully functional again. During that time traffic is blocked.   During this Power Up time period if you try to "link the system" {Note this I do not know what it means} the switch faults.  Did I get what you describe correct?

It has been my understanding that  5700 Switches {and all  Layer 3 Switches for that matter} can take up to 5 minutes to be fully alive.  This is normal and anticipated behavior and should be allowed for in design.

You understand quite well, although I was writing badly.

3 hours ago, Jiggadoo said:

I am not able to read those links.

@Jiggadoo Those are Tech Connect Support pages.  If you don't have an account setup one.  You may also need a tech connect contract.

Problem solved.

Stratix is using STP, Spanning three protocol. This protocol is checking the loops on the network and during this check it will block all the ports in the switch. I have been setting the smartports then enabling the PortFast Trunk. This setting in the STP page will not block the ports, although it is setting the switch to fault state for 15 to 20 seconds.

Thanks for the hint @BobLfoot and @Ken Moore

Edited by Jiggadoo