11 posts in this topic

Hi
I have just bought a new AB CompactLogix 5380 (5069-L306ER) labeled "FACTORY SEAL".
When I trying to connect via USB or Ethernet on studio 5000 softwares, no matter RSlinks or BOOT-DHCP tool, there is no responding at all.
I know these PLC shipped row and there must be flash before using for first time, But I think when I turned it on via MOD Power, while connected to PC, there must be some sound for connecting via USB cable, or some activity in small led's of Ethernet port in both sides. but there is no response at all.
I'm begining to doubt about my cables, although the USB cable and the Ethernet cable are standard cables, I try it with two or three cables.
P.S: The package does not included a SD card, I put a SD card from my own, Could it be problematic?
Thanks.

BobLfoot

Thanks for recommendation about document

I have done stage 2 reset to my Compactlogix, Now the RSlinx can recognize the Compactlogix, but just via from USB cable.

I think before to flash it according to my installed Studio 5000, I need set an IP address to it, and here the problem begins:

I can not connect to it via Ethernet, and even there is no sign of a connected device on my laptop (nothing connected)

How can I fix it?

I tired to update to update firmware via USB to V30 in CF software, several times, but failed in all cases. The flashing process goes to last stage and suddenly there is an error about interrupting communication.

Thanks in advance

And what is NVRAM Bad appearing in front of connected USB in RSlinx software?
You know I put a SD card from my own in the cotroller (SONY SD card 4 Gig)

Take out the SD card. Connect via usb. RSLinx should see it. If not, something is wrong with RSLinx. Set the IP via RSLinx. Then flash up to what you need

1 person likes this

VFD Guy

Thanks

I tried to do as you said

I connect via USB and RSlinx recognized the controller.

But again no sign of unrecognized Ethernet connectivity, then connected the controller to other PC's with different network card, again not a tiny sign like activity of green and orange small led's on interface (no sign in both side of the cable)

Is it necessary to setting IP before flashing process? Asking this because I tried to flash it via USB (without SD-card) and every time the communication aborted after final stage, (I mean 20 of 20 stage)

The message says "Polling for power-up ... time left until abort: 180 seconds." Then waiting to 0 second and here is what is happening every time: the controller goes down for the birth day and need a stage 2 reset to RS based software can recognize it.

Yours

It is not necessary to set an IP address before the flash process, assuming you are flashing it over USB of course.

Are you using a virtual machine? I constantly get stuck at the "polling for power up" stage because my VM doesn't automatically reattach the USB device (despite being configured to), to the point where I have to unplug the USB cable and reinsert it - it then sees the CPU and the process is complete. It's also worth remembering that at the "polling for power up" stage the flash is complete, you don't actually need to get the confirmation at this stage. You can then set the IP address using Linx, and connect via ethernet as required.

1 person likes this

@mahnasr  after usb is connected right click on the device in linx ang go to module configuration. You can set the ip there. Let me know if that works

On 5/28/2021 at 1:50 PM, elfrider said:

It is not necessary to set an IP address before the flash process, assuming you are flashing it over USB of course.

Are you using a virtual machine? I constantly get stuck at the "polling for power up" stage because my VM doesn't automatically reattach the USB device (despite being configured to), to the point where I have to unplug the USB cable and reinsert it - it then sees the CPU and the process is complete. It's also worth remembering that at the "polling for power up" stage the flash is complete, you don't actually need to get the confirmation at this stage. You can then set the IP address using Linx, and connect via ethernet as required.

elfrider

Actually your tip is what I did it in some occasions.

Yes, I think the flash is completed in "polling ... up", But when I unplug the USB cable and re-insert it, the controller goes back to mother born day, I mean it become with no firmware at all, so no USB connection can be made, except you do a stage 2 reset, (powering on while pushing the reset button till appears DEFAULT on the LED, resulted to firmware 1.6..)

I think this problem has nothing to do with memory card. and I did it several times with SD card and without.

How did you exactly get rid off from this? Just by unplugging and re-inserting the cable?

Is there any need to get rid off VM?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, VFD Guy said:

@mahnasr  after usb is connected right click on the device in linx ang go to module configuration. You can set the ip there. Let me know if that works

Dear VFD Guy

There is absolutely no sign of Ethernet connection, not in my PC, not in the controller, not in the linx based software.

The PC do not go to even "unrecognized network" stage when I see network and sharing center. I assume in order to set an IP, first PC should recognize an unrecognized network, Is that right? 

Before connecting enet to the plc, are you able to set the ip via usb?  If you can’t then something else is wrong