TigerLily

EtherCAT Master to EtherCAT Master Communications

10 posts in this topic

We have a customer insisting on communicating with our NX102-9000 over EtherCAT, we have explained multiple times that EtherCAT is not intended as a facility communication protocol and recommended that instead they use Ethernet/IP, but after a year of pushing back they are still insisting and willing to pay for the Engineering work to get this to happen.

Has anyone successfully configured two EtherCAT masters to communicate with each other?

In the past I have used the PN-PN Master Coupler from Siemens to get two ProfiNet Masters to communicate with each other so I am hopeful that a similar device exists for EtherCAT, but I have not had any luck searching the web for such a device.

Does anyone have experience with or know of such a device?

Thank you!!

I don't believe this is possible. Maybe with multiple protocol converters but it would be a mess.

Don't believe the spec for EtherCAT allows for multiple masters on the same network.  EtherNet/IP is the proper (and only viable) solution.

That is exactly what we have been telling them.

We have been working directly with Omron on this as well, they provided us with some info on a device that I think may do what we are looking for...so in case anyone else has the need here is the information we got:

The device is the ECX-EC Slave Bridge, made by ESD.

https://www.ethercat.org/en/products/B888E4F9062148A08E320A3F41A411D6.htm

We haven't implemented it yet to be able to say whether or not it works as we expect, but I will follow up once we do!

You could also look at the Anybus X-Gateway. They also have an Ethercat Bridge for slave to Slave communications.

I haven't used that specific product but have used other products from them. Their tech support is second to none if you need it.

The only difference is that the ESD module supports 1024 bytes in both directions vs. the AnyBus supports 512 bytes in both directions.

Interesting devices... I am curious how this works out.

Beckhoff EL6692 and EL6695 are EtherCat bridges allowing Master to Master communication. Both sides of bridge appear as slave to that side of network.

both need bus-coupler EK1100 to connect to network A, ports on bridge are for network B

2 hours ago, panic mode said:

Beckhoff EL6692 and EL6695 are EtherCat bridges allowing Master to Master communication. Both sides of bridge appear as slave to that side of network.

both need bus-coupler EK1100 to connect to network A, ports on bridge are for network B

YES but I believe they ONLY work with Beckhoff hardware! Original post is looking for solution with OMRON NX hardware.

2 hours ago, panic mode said:

Another solution from Hilscher!

https://www.hilscher.com/fileadmin/cms_upload/en-US/Resources/pdf/netTAP-151_Datasheet_04-2020_GB.pdf

I am really interested to know if you decide to use one of these Ethercat Slave to Slave units and what were the results.

We have an upcoming application later this year that we are considering using them.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:46 PM, BITS N BYTES said:

YES but I believe they ONLY work with Beckhoff hardware! Original post is looking for solution with OMRON NX hardware.

maybe... i am certainly not claiming that some product i don't use often supports that or not so it is wise to use caution. ;)

it is just that i don't see why would that need to be the case. Any product that supports EtherCat should work with gateways. But that should be easily checked with manufacturers of PLCs or whatever the EtherCat masters are,

This in particular is commonly used solution when connecting KUKA robots to each other or to PLC that must be EtherCat master.

Btw KUKA is not exactly supporting everything that EtherCat can do. There is a compatibility list and support channel that can verify if something is working or not.