MTPControl

Automation Direct ViewMarq and Control Logix

5 posts in this topic

Have anyone successfully communicated/connected to an Automation Direct Viewmarq and manipulate these displays through a Control Logix PLC?   

I personally have not. Generally, all Automation Direct devices like Modbus TCP as their native comms.  The CLX uses a native EtherNet/IP comms driver, but should be able to communicate with it.  AD's website usually has information regarding the setup for various comms drivers to vendor PLCs.

Example, the C-More Touchscreen HMI's has detailed instructions for communicating with various AB PLC's including MLX, CLX and CompactLogix.  Try to find the manuals for the Viewmarq to determine what the communication capabilities are and how to set them up. 

Regardless, AD's technical support is among the best in the industry.  You should simply call them.

I've done it, just using an RTAutomation Ethernet/IP to Serial gateway in between usually, or direct serial from an old 1756-L55 CPU I toss in the rack.

I was trying to do the same thing. The solution I was able to come up with was. I used a C-more headless unit EA9-RHMI And a PAC1000. The Contrologix PLC sends the String to the EA9-RHMI. Then using the event manager database I do a tag copy to a string tag in the PAC1000 every 1/2 sec with a Byte swap on the Contrologix tag. Program the PAC1000 to talk to the ViewMarq like normal but use variables for the sting tags. This lets you keep everything on ethernet over different Vlans if needed. You can use any EA9 C-more I just had the EA9-RHMI in my test bench. works great.

Yes, it is possible to communicate and connect an Automation Direct ViewMarq display with a ControlLogix PLC. 

The Automation Direct ViewMarq display typically supports multiple communication protocols such as Modbus RTU, Modbus ASCII, and DF1. The ControlLogix PLCs from Allen-Bradley also support various communication protocols, including Modbus and Ethernet/IP.

To establish communication between the ViewMarq display and the ControlLogix PLC, you would need to configure the appropriate communication protocol and settings on both devices. This typically involves setting up the communication parameters such as baud rate, parity, data bits, and stop bits.

Once the communication is established, you can use the ControlLogix PLC to send data or commands to the ViewMarq display to manipulate the displayed information. This could involve sending messages, controlling the brightness, or triggering other display actions based on the logic and programming in the PLC.

It's important to refer to the documentation and manuals provided by Automation Direct and Allen-Bradley for detailed instructions on how to set up the communication and utilize the specific protocols supported by the devices. Additionally, you may find it helpful to consult with experts or technical support from both manufacturers for further assistance in configuring the communication between the ViewMarq display and ControlLogix PLC.

Candy Crush

Edited by lauryfriese