Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ABlearner

Motion axis home

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

I need some help to understand what is the difference between an Active, Passive and an Absolute homing. Even if I read the manual still not clear for me. Can you please someone explain me this. If someone could post some pic for represetning it would be fabulous. THanks ahead.

I have decided to write what is my understanding. At least you guys can see I have tried to understand it :).

Active homing: THe Axis is on and when the instruction is set the actual position is immediatelly cahnge for the homing postition without moving the real motor. 

If its true Why do we need the MRP instruction thats also overwrite the actual position without moving isnt it ? 

Passive homing: If the axis is off and after it will be on again, we have to wait until the first impulse is coming from the encoder. If its set the actual position will be the homing position.

Absolute homing : I have no idea, im confused. 

Thanks again. 

OK Active Homing :

1. Axis err=22 if another motion is in progress

2. Otherwise the Axis starts moving in the defined homing direction according to the homing sequence type.

2a - Immediate - Declare here home

2b - Switch - Declare Home when the Home Switch is reached

2c - Marker - Declare Home when the Marker is reached

2d - Switch-Marker - Declare Home when the Home Switch is reached and then the Marker is reached

2e - Torque-Level - When a given torque level is reached declare home

OK Passive Homing:

Similiar to active in sequence types but does not move the axis.  Is use for encoder only axis mostly.

Absolute Homing The manual confuses me.

@TimWilborne a good topic for a video??

1 person likes this

Thank you so much your answer.

So basically if there is no motion at the moment and if I choose active homing and the sequence is

2a: immediate, then as soon as I hit the MAH command the actual position will change immediatelly for the home position. I made for this an example:

I tried to drag here a pic but it doesnt worked. The pic shows in the trend like I hit the MAH command and the actual position change form 0 to 400. 400 is set in the Axis prperties homing tab. Also Im using an emulator right now, maybe that why I can see it like its a suddend movement. If it wont be an emulator it will be the same ? Or the motor would be rotate until its reach the position ? 

2b: By a swich in this case how do the servo knows which direction has to go ?

2c: I see but same question as for 2b.

2d: I see but same question as for 2b.

2e: I see but same question as for 2b.

Passive: I dont really understand. I mean okay the axis its not moving but how or when will be the axis reach the home position. 

Thanks again. Anyway Im using Studio 5000. I forgot to write it down before.  

IN 2. I said "in the defined homing direction"  There is a homing direction setting to be masde.