VincentJames

GX Works2 Simulator not Starting

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with the simulator function in GX Works2.

I've never had an issue trying to run the simulator before until now. It was working a few weeks ago when I last used it.

I am not connecting to any external device when I start my simulator. I am simply loading a project file and starting the simulation.

I mainly use this in conjunction with GT Designer3 when I want to run GT simulator for the GOT.

I have uninstalled the program using the Melsoft clean up tool and re-installed several times now. It's now to the point where I am really frustrated and am thinking that GXWorks2 is not the problem and perhaps some other setting on my Windows environment has changed.

For some reason, it's not letting me upload images in my post so I'll describe what was on the images.

When I start the sim, Write to PLC window opens, but stays at 0/11 and (Not Responding) is displayed next to Write to PLC

After about a minute, it times out and I get a pop up <ES:0180840b> that states unable to communicate with the specified CPU or station.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

What CPU are you using?

It's sort of telling you that's where the problem lies.

Have you tried a test program with another type of cpu?

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply, but issue is not CPU.

CPU is i7-3820

How is my cpu telling me its the problem?

As I mentioned in my post, the simulator was working fine a few weeks ago.

Software is also not issue. I installed the software on one of my Win10 simulators last night and the simulator function worked no problem right after install finished.

FYI... My Windows 10 simulator is on the same computer as the one that is having issues.

I'm sure re-installing Windows 10 would probably fix the problem, but would like to avoid this if I can since I have a lot of programs installed and don't really feel like spending a week getting my system back to where it is now.

Edited by VincentJames

I didn't mean your pc cpu. I meant the plc cpu. I just used your terminology.

Try a test program with a different plc and see if that will simulate.

Ron,

As I mentioned in my first post, I am not connected to any external device. This would include PLC.

I am opening a project file saved on my dekstop and starting simulation.

This morning I tested GX Works2 simulation in safe mode w/ networking and it worked no problem.

Rebooted and tried again in normal Windows 10 environment and it is still not working.

Definitely some issue with the Windows environment. Just not sure what is causing it.

15 hours ago, VincentJames said:

Ron,

As I mentioned in my first post, I am not connected to any external device. This would include PLC.

I am opening a project file saved on my dekstop and starting simulation.

This morning I tested GX Works2 simulation in safe mode w/ networking and it worked no problem.

Rebooted and tried again in normal Windows 10 environment and it is still not working.

Definitely some issue with the Windows environment. Just not sure what is causing it.

For your post, I think problem are come from environment, you may be right click on GX Works2 then select  properties -> compatability then change to other Windows version such as win 7.

Another thought would be to make sure GT-Designer is executed as Adminstrator... right click the icon and pick Run As Administrator.  It may be a rights issue on your user account on Windows.

Hi Wasan / Crossbow,

Thank you both for the additional suggestions. I have never had to do either of these methods before for the simulator in GX Works 2 to work before.

I did, however, try both of your suggestions. I tried it 3 different ways. 1st with just compatibility for Win7 checked. 2nd with run as Administrator checked. 3rd with both of them checked. None of them worked.

I also spoke with Mitsubishi yesterday and they suggested using the clean up tool to uninstall the program and all associated folders. They also suggested deleting the Mitsubishi folder in the registry. Reboot and re-install the SW. Unfortunately, this method also did not work.

I still can't get past why it worked correctly when I ran the program in safe mode with networking. I first tried it in just safe mode, but it didn't work until I ran safe mode with networking.

This leads me to believe that it is a Windows environment issue and it is related to networking. My only assumption is that perhaps something else is using part of my network that my GX Works2 simulator is trying to access. I'm just not sure how to troubleshoot this idea further to isolate this.

Virus scanner, firewall, network security software, even IT management settings can cause issues with automation software.  We have always been recommended that the user has full admin rights on the machine to get rid of some of those issues.  But IT will do what IT wants to do, and they may have something restricted in Windows.