Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTPControl

Compact Logix L33ER

5 posts in this topic

Can these controllers have two different subnets assigned to each port?  I have the processor on one subnet (example 10.13.50.60) and would like to have another subnet off the processor for remote I/O and VFD's (example 10.2.80.1).  I was curious if it was possible with this platform?  I know it is possible with Control Logix and chassis based enbt/en2t.

Sadly, the L33ER can only have one IP address. The ports are basically a switch connected to one NIC. I'm pretty sure (from what I remember) that the ENBT only had one port and that the EN2T can also only have one IP address.

What *may* be possible (I've never done it...) is to use subnet masking to let the PLC and peripherals communicate. A mask of 255.240.0.0 would allow addresses from 10.0.0.1 through 10.15.255.254 to communicate.

I'm NOT an expert and don't know all of the ramifications of this, but it may be worth a try. I know it would make a lot more IP addresses accessible to the controller but would make the controller similarly accessible to other devices that are masked appropriately. I would probably leave the peripherals (I/O, VFDs, etc.) on their current subnet with their current mask and set the PLC to an address in that same subnet but with a broader mask. That way only the PLC itself will have connectivity outside the local subnet.

I used this calculator to confirm my mask:
https://www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php?net_class=A

L33ER has only one IP.  The two ports act as a "hub".  There are later models that have two ports and are individually addressable.

It's the "5380" series CompactLogix with part numbers that start with 5069 have the option of a single IP address and physical ring connection, or independent IP addresses with individual physical connections.

The "5370" series CompactLogix with part numbers that start with 1769 have the built-in 2-port switch and a single IP address and single NIC.

They don't look entirely dissimilar so be sure you're looking at the part numbers.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-us/products/hardware/allen-bradley/programmable-controllers/all-products.html#small-control-systems

2 people like this