MTPControl

Powerflex 755

6 posts in this topic

Can you power up the main control board with out line voltage so you can configure drive?

Not that I'm aware of. The main control board (MCB) is plugged into and powered through the backplane. I don't know of any safe means of attempting to power the MCB inside or outside of the drive without line power applied to the drive. If anyone else has a method for this, I'd like to hear it.

If you have drive tools software, such as Drive Executive of Connected Components Workbench, you can configure your drive offline and then download the project to the drive once you're ready for power. If you're using ControlLogix, you can configure the drive in Studio5000 and once all the power and networks are up and running, the controller will take over the drive for you.  

It was my understanding that you could power the MCB with an external 24 VDC supply through terminals on the board and possible jumper configurations.  I was just curious if anyone has done this before.  

There are only two jumpers that I know of on the MCB for the PowerFlex 755 drive; Safety and Enable for frames 1...7, and Enable for frames 8...10. So if this is possible, I don't think that jumpers would be involved.

It might be possible to find the two or three tabs on the plug part of the MCB that are for power, hook power to them, then program while communicating via the Ethernet or serial ports. But without an adapter made for that purpose, I would be really warry of trying that. Again, if anyone else knows of a safe and effective method of doing this, please jump into the thread. 

@VFD Guy, you ever hear of this?

Question for @MTPControl; Why do you need to configure the MCB outside of the drive?

I am trying to communicate to the drive via ethernet without have to power the drive with a 480V supply.

The only way I’ve done this is with the APS board that can be installed. I’ve carried one with me to power up the mcb when mains isn’t on yet. 20-750-APS