koelkommer

Remote GOT (Visual Only)

7 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone!

I have a GOT HMI all fully fuctional and working a treat, I have been asked to display one particular screen remotely in another part of the factory. I can only really use the IP network or perhaps some sort of wireless link. Does anyone have any good ideas.

I thought use another GOT like a dumb device just looking at that one particular screen. But I dont think one would be able to get the GOT to share its stuff down the IP.

I could perhaps use the other GOT to VNC but I am not sure of that as if we are not on the Home Screen that could be a problem.

Any help appreciated.

I thought use another GOT like a dumb device just looking at that one particular screen. But I dont think one would be able to get the GOT to share its stuff down the IP.

Well normally you would just configure another port on the PLC and simply connect the new HMI to that. Is there a problem doing this?

We have often shared a port for overview screens without problems.  Usually this has been on Fx PLC’s specifically on the old E-NET module where ports are limited. Yes it can slow the HMI’s down if you have them both polling rapidly. However, if you change the overview screen to only update every few seconds then normally it’s not a problem. On one site we have an overview screen polling 14 different PLC’s using this method (because all the other ports on the 14 machines are being used by OPC or direct PLC to PLC communication).

Only works on certain protocols though.

What PLC are you using?

Good Morning

The point where the (Dumb Display) must be located is simply too far and (difficult to reach) from the installed PLC and GOT. There is already a Fibre cable going there so I was thinking to jump onto that with VNC or such

Neverov the GOT is a GT2507.

At the moment the device is connected to our LAN but I use the VNC function to view.

Could I configure the Ethernet functions and then use the ethernet (LAN) as the port?

VNC is useless if you are trying to show a single screen continuously.  This is all really basic stuff, are you new to this (this is not a criticism as we all started somewhere)? If you can connect via Ethernet then simply get another HMI to show the data you need. Frankly it doesn’t need to be a GOT, there are cheaper options out there – especially if IP rating is not an issue (the only reason to us a GOT in my opinion).

VNC isn't the answer.  VNC is a remote connection to control the HMI, so it only shows what's on the HMI at that time, it cannot be set to show a different page.

Another HMI with only one page in it might be more effective.  Or SoftGOT on a cheap industrial computer with an HMI and no touch screen since you said view, not operate.