Ajbenny2525

Communication through backplane on control Logix to VFD's on en2tr

11 posts in this topic

I am trying to connect to my VFD's on my EN2TR network using MCT10 software..

If i have my Laptop on the same network as my PLC can i communicate with a 3rd party software (MCT10) on that network onto VFD network using the control logix chasis backplane.

1757-L83ES Slot 0: 10.115.90.xxx Subnet 255.255.255.0

EN2TR  Slot 1 All my VFD's 192.168.1.xx Subnet 255.255.255.0

I am not familiar with your MCT10 Software, but it seems reasonable you have Studio 5000 and RSlinx on hand and as a first debugging step let me suggest you make sure RSLInx on your laptop can see and browse to the the VFD. 

Sorry I’m not explaining this correctly. I already have my VFD’s working with my plc. I used a standard danfoss add on instruction to communicate with the VFD. But if I want to change any settings on my VFD I have to use MCT10 software to change parameters once I’m on the 192.168.1.xx network. My question is can I actually go onto the plc network 10.115.90.xx with my laptop and route down the backplane to the en2tr network 192.168.1.xx which my VFDs sit on. 

My reason for this question  is at my desk I can only patch onto plc network, I have to go down locally to plc panel to get on VFD network if I need to change any settings. 

I kniow RSLinx it able to route across the backplane like you describe for Rockwell Applications, I am not aware that this functionality would be exposed to a third party program.

Better off going to the plant floor and plugging into the switch that the Danfoss drives are plugged into.

That’s what I’m currently doing. I was just wondering if it could be done. Thanks anyways

You can bridge networks using RSLinx. Right click in rslinx on the bridged network and add the Danfoss ip

Ok so I can bridge this on EN2TR

So in my plant I have 10 plcs sitting on the same network (10.115.xx.xx) and all have EN2TR cards in there chasis. All the en2tr cards are addressed 192.168.1.1 and all my VFDs start at 192.168.1.50-100 on each plc rack.

what is the danger if I bridge VFD 192.168.1.50 on the first plc rack. Just remember I have 9 other VFD with this address on other plcs. Will all the other plcs be able to see this now as they are on the same network?

Edited by Ajbenny2525

As @BobLfoot stated,  Rockwell software would be able to access it. I’m not sure about your mct10

Does your danfoss software point at an ip and some random port or is it ip and a fixed port?  I ask because Rockwell Servo Drives can be access with HTTP to reach their configuration page and we've used a Stratix Switch doing PAT {Port Address Translation} to reach multiple drives through one Ip Address.