TigerLily

Can a CJ2M communicate to a C200H??

5 posts in this topic

Hello!

I just got an interesting request from a customer, we have a product line that uses C200H PLCs.  The cabinets can operate independently or they can be connected to work in a Master/Slave configuration, the C200 PLCs communicate to each other over RS-232 using LR registers.

Back in 2015 we redesigned to use CJ2M PLCs and changed the communication to EthernetIP.

Now we have a customer who wants to buy a new slave for an old C200H system, so my question is what are my options for communicating to a C200 with a CJ PLC, I don't have much experience with the C200, that was programmed before my time here, in 2000 I think.

Thank you!!!

I will give the short answer, yes. Although I don't believe it will be the protocol the current C200H are using. 

What is the complete part number of your C200H? This makes a difference especially in hardware. The CPU01/CPU02 (pre-alpha series) will require an LK201 Host Link module. They come in CPU mount and rack mount style. You are probably already aware since you have some communicating with each other already. They are most likely communicating via PC Link since you say they are sharing LR registers. The CJ2M does not support PC Link that I'm aware, and it does not have LR registers. At minimum, they can communicate via Host Link protocol. You may have to write some ladder using TXD/RXD.

There may be easier methods but first tell us the full part numbers on the CPU and serial port/modules.

Our CPU is the C200HG-CPU43, back when it talked to another C200 we used the Comms Board A and the 1-to-1 PC Link with the LR registers.

When the C200 went obsolete we upgraded the controls to the CJ2M-CPU33 and began utilizing the Ethernet IP communications...so our new system doesn't even have a serial port at this time, we would have to add the CP module to the option slot.

Nice. Having the C200HG should make it a lot easier. I'm pretty sure you can do it via ethernet if you have room for another module on the C200HG. Unfortunately, I've never done this. Thus my short answer. :) Let's hope that BobB or Michael Walsh will respond with some details. In the meantime have a look at the manuals for the Ethernet modules for each CPU. This will contain details on the communication protocols. Omron is very good with backward compatibility.

I do have the equipment here in our shop to test but don't have the extra time right now.

The EtherNet options with the C200HG were somewhat limited, but Controller Link would work (CLK module), or serial.  Controller Link has a data link option, much like EIP Implicit messaging. For serial comms, you could issue Host Link Commands from the CJ2 PLC to write or read data to / from the C200H if you have a spare serial port available.  

1 person likes this