James_85

Moving Local Tags

5 posts in this topic

Is there a way to move local tags into controller tags without doing it offline?

What I've done in that situation is rename the existing tag with an "x" in the beginning, then create a new controller scoped tag, then use the cross reference to find each instance of the old tag and do an online edit to replace it with the new one. That works as long as there's no HMI involved. If an HMI (or other device) is reading the old tag, you won't be able to rename it online. If the tag is used a lot, this could get pretty cumbersome and you may have some unexpected results. It would be safer to create a new controller-scoped tag that's controlled by the existing local tag, but that won't work if you need other code to be able to write to it.

Yeah, When I created the new tag, I had copied a routine and renamed each instance of it in the new routine already (A LOT OF THEM) before I realized that it created as a local tag. Screwed myself pretty good. I'll just wait till they go down, upload, then download I guess. Thank you for your help though.

Joe E’s Method is good. Doing a control f and replace all would be much quicker. As long as you and ensure the tags being replaced are the ones you want

Edited by VFD Guy

Yeah, with that many tags, it would make sense to do it offline. I'd recommend connecting to the machine, saving a copy while online so you get all of the tag values, then make the changes and download.