Harlock

PCMCIA Card (CP5512)

10 posts in this topic

Greetings citizens!

I have a very old laptop with a PCMIA port. In this port I connect the Siemens CP 5512 card to be able to connect with s7-200 series PLCs.

However, I am afraid that the computer will end up breaking down as it is old. There are no longer laptops with a PCMCIA port.

So, in order to take advantage of the Siemens CP5512 card in the new PCs, I would like to know if it is possible to use an external PCMCIA reader.

I bought this external PCMCIA reader model :
https://www.amazon.es/Morza-Adaptador-Tarjeta-convertidor-Ordenador/dp/B084ZL6HWH
.. but I have not been able to make it work. I think this reader is for other types of memories.

Definitely :

Do you know of any external PCMCIA reader model that can connect via USB or similar that works for a Siemens CP5512 card?

Thanks!

Are you sure that this adapter can be used in S7-200?

Better you will look for an USB RS485 adapter.

Make right connection on plc port side and you will solve this problem. 

I´m sure :  Communications processor CP 5512 PC Card (Cardbus, 32 Bit) for connection of a PG or Notebook to PROFIBUS or MPI; SKU:6GK15512AA00

It works very well.

I will investigate the RS 485 thing. I do not know if they will be able to connect in PPI, MPI, or Profibus. The PCMCIA card is the one that has given me the least problems.

But I would like to know if there are external PCMCIA adapters.

No offence, 

I asked if you are sure about communication with S7-200.

Majority of S7-200 CPU don't has a ProfiBus port. MPI ? Never on S7-200. 

My answer is based on your question. 

I suggest you to upgrade to an USB adapter.

The s7-200 that our clients have in various companies are more than 10.

If I remember correctly they all have two DB9 ports, port 1 and port 2.

Port 1 is almost exclusively for PPI communication. We use the second port for Profibus communication (I understand that MPI would also be valid).

But this is not transcendent. Why?

The important thing is:

- We have numerous PC Adapters that work perfectly with the s7-300 series.
- Of the 4 PC Adapters that we have, 2 are original Siemens and 2 from Chinese origin.
- That those same 4 PC Adapters do not work with the s7-200. We do not know the reason. On some occasion, one of them must have worked.
  As a hypothesis, a colleague has told us that it could be by using Windows x64bits instead of Windows x32 bits. We will test it soon.

Conclusion: PC adapters = Failure. Don´t work.

This is why I would like to have an external PCMCIA Reader. As a spare.
If my current PCMCIA PC crashes, I have no way to deal with the problem. The PC Adapters are not working at the moment.

Does anyone know of an external PCMCIA reader for Siemens cards?

As I wrote above: s7-200 has no MPI.

Please,  check the system manual.

PPI is the native for S7-200.

ProfiBus is present only on few CPU, not all family has this  option.

I suggest you to look for an USB PPI adapter. 

One more think that you should know. 

If you are using Microwin on Win10, then you must have SP9 installed. 

Thanks a lot for the tips!

1) The s7-200s that our clients have the PPI port and the Profibus port (CPU 216).

2) In the past I already tried to connect with a specific USB PPI adapter for the s7-200, but it definitely did not work.
The hypotheses I am considering are:
a) The adapter was not official (Chinese) and apparently it did not support 187.5 kbps speeds. Stay tuned with this as there is a lot of adapter that cannot.
The one I used: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32812854393.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.274263c0dyqZXx
b) Don't use Windows x32 bits (I think I did use Microwin + SP9)

However, I take note of the model that you have advised me.

If indeed you have a CPU 216 (not to be confused with a CPU 226), then I recommend upgrading to an S7-1200.  The HMI would likely need upgrading as well. The 1st Gen S7-200 (CPU 21x) has issues with vibration.  I've witnessed this issue more than once - I even gently taped on one and watched all the I/O flicker.