IvanBratanov

View and control from PC to HMI via RS-485.

8 posts in this topic

Hi and good day to you! I'm creating industrial projects based on Delta Industrial Automation equipment. Projects work very good, no complains yet.

Recently clients asked me if there is a possibility to connect a PC viewer somehow (VNC or something) to a HMI<->PLC RS-485 connection so they could monitor and control the HMI from the PC. I've done projects based on Ethernet PLC and HMI (Modbus TCP/IP), there is not problem to connect VNC to such network using a switch or a router.

The problem is when devices don't have Ethernet interface. Is there any possibility to connect PC to such interface, using RS-485<->Ethernet adapters perhaps.....? 

Thank you!

Edited by IvanBratanov

@IvanBratanov For RS-485 or other serial interface cannot be remote viewer on HMI but you have another method by create graphic screen on free SCADA Software (Rapid SCADA, AdvancedHMI) for these device by passthrough data from PLC by convert to Modbus RTU for HMI tags.

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I'm aware that Scada is a possible way to use PC as HMI. Unfortunatelly I don't have any experience with Scada, it will take a lot of time to study it. 

That's why I decided to find out if there is a possible way to connect PC to HMI in RS-485 network. If VNC needs Ethernet to view HMI, which uses RS-485, could I use RS-485 to Ethernet adapter to achieve my goal?

Don't know of a single HMI product that would allow VNC over a serial connection.  Many HMIs offer VNC or HTML access, but it's via an Ethernet port.  Just because you can buy a converter doesn't mean it can talk through it.

Yes, I got that.... Furthermore it appears that only Ethernet HMIs have VNC server built-in. That was stupid idea. Sorry.....

Thank you!

@IvanBratanov DO NOT BE SORRY.  Keep asking questions, it's how problems are solved.  Who knows one day that crazy question you ask may just provide the project saving answer.  Just make sure you've read the manuals and taught yourself all you can and ask the best questions possible,  Welcome to mrplc by the way.

Thank you for the encouraging answer! It was not easy for me to start building industrial control projects and it's still not easy to keep doing that. Industrial automation is not an easy area, but only who keeps going on will manage it to the end. 

Once more thank you......!

Yeah, keep at it, we all start somewhere, and it takes time to learn and design your own style.  I've been doing this for 23 years and my programming style today is far different than it was 10 years ago.  New languages, better ways to create certain code, etc.