Joe E.

CompactLogix Source protection snafu

6 posts in this topic

So...

I have an ACD file (v21.03.00) from an OEM who says that they did not source protect the file. I can open and look at the main routine but not copy/paste/edit it. The controller properties dialog says "no protection" but the routine properties dialog says "source not available". The properties area of the Main routine at the bottom of the Controller Organizer says "Source not available (Viewable)".

I'm using the exact major.minor.minor-er revision of v21.03.00 and have tried changing the processor to a new version (before I had v21 installed). I've exported to .L5K and re-imported into a new, empty project. I've used 2 PCs. Same results all around. I can copy-paste the controller tags to a new project, but not the ladder code. They didn't use any program tags, but I can add/edit/delete my own. If I copy-paste the entire program to another project...I can't edit it. If I add another subroutine to the same program, I can edit the new one normally. I even emailed the original file to a former colleague who converted it to v24 and opened it with the same result.

V21_SourceProtectionIssue_01.thumb.PNG.2

Any advice?

What do you see when you go to the menu and click 

Tools --> Security --> Configure Source Protection

It should pop a window with all of the routines, AOI's, etc and indicate which, if any, are protected.

In this example BMS is the Source Key

p2175862617-4.jpg

Joe, your picture is for complete protection of the CPU and source code.  I use this so that no one but my computer can even open the ACD or edit the program.

Michael's talking about an external key in the form of a file that he called BMS.  It must be present in the same folder as the ACD.

Hmmmm...

I don't have that option:
V21_SourceProtectionIssue_02.PNG.146b0aa
I may not have the source protection tool installed fully, since I've never used it. I'll re-run the installer and be sure to select the tool.

The OEM insists that they didn't use any source protection...

The OEM got back to me and sent me the sk.dat file that I needed. I then found a manual from Rockwell that includes instructions on installing the source protection tool manually:
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm016_-en-p.pdf
I had checked the box to install it when I installed Studio 5000 v21 for this, and then ran the installer again selecting only this tool, but it apparently never took.

Once I pointed the software at the sk.dat file, I was able to unprotect the ACD file and save a copy, which opens now without issue without the sk.dat file.

Always hated Source Protection myself having worked in a GNU Public License atmosphere much of my life.  Glad you solved the problem.

1 person likes this