RobinEriksen

PanelView Windows screen

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

Is there a way to access the windows screen on a PanelView if you dont know the password you need to enter?

If no, is there a way to recover or reset the password?

I'm assuming you're able the access the configuration display, and are trying to access Windows CE from there, yes?

The default, out-of-the-box password for Windows CE on a PanelView is "password". If you haven't already, give that a try.

Otherwise, I don't recall that there's a way to get around that password other than flashing the firmware to reset the PanelView back to factory settings.

Yes I can access the config display.

I will try that password when I get back to work. Hopefully it works.

Thank you for answering!

Looks like the only way for me now is to reset the PanelView back to its factory settings, but thats not a huge job so its ok.

I have another question. I would like to be able to view and control the HMI from my phone. (Thats why I need to get to the windows screen to set up the VNC server)

What do I need to be able to connect to the HMI via WIFI? Would I need some kind of access point/router that transmits a WIFI signal I can connect to?

Robin

I don't know that there is a WiFi card available for PanelViews. If not, the PanelView will need it's Ethernet cable to be connected to a switch that is, in turn, connected to a router or WiFi. From there, you will likely need to get FacotryTalk TeamONE. It's basically a remote desktop app for mobile devices to view your ME and (I believe) SE systems remotely. I think there is limited remote control available, as well. There's even a chat/meeting function that would allow you to start a group chat with someone onsite and look at the HMI running while talking to someone who's standing in front of the process. I haven't used it but it's supposed to be a lot like giving remote desktop access to the IT person on the phone when your laptop has issues.

Here's a link:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-fi/products/software/factorytalk/maintenancesuite/teamone.html

Thank you very much for your response ElectornGuru. 

I figured out how to use VNC via phone to control a PanelView.

I bought this router from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Richer-R-Wireless-Portable-Hotspot-Compatible/dp/B07CMV6CVZ/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=3g+router&qid=1615885490&sr=8-10

Then I had to change the IP of the router so its in the same range as the HMI. 

I then went in to the Windows screen on the HMI and turned on the VNC server. (Windows button - Settings - Control panel - Services.) Press the VNC button to make it turn green. 

And now I downloaded a VNC app on my phone and typed in the IP of the screen and connected. It makes me have full control over the HMI on my phone. Pretty useful feature in some cases. 

IPRouter.png

I tried to upload more pictures, but I am not able to unfortunately. 

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Just be careful about controlling machinery that not you're in line-of-site with. It can be great for remote monitoring, but dangerous to start-stop, change speeds, etc remotely.  

Yes that is absolutely true. The signal range of the router is not the best so you cannot be out of sight with this one. 

Thanks for the heads up.

The original post was keeping me up at night, because I knew there was a way to reset that password without flashing the PanelView. I just tested this procedure and it works on my PanelView 7+.

-          Plug a keyboard into a USB port and hold F1 while the HMI is rebooting, and this will bring up the Maintenance Mode.

-          Use the touch screen (arrow keys, if on keyboard) to select “Special BOOT Action”.

-          Use Right/Left arrows to select “Clear All Data”.

o   This will clear everything except the firmware.

-          Select “Continue booting with selected options”

-          During the rest of the BOOT process you will be prompted to create a Windows CE access password.

Using this procedure, you will lose any applications within the PanelView, but not have to flash the firmware.