Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arceus

Micro 850- ASCII query/command and response

3 posts in this topic

I have been working on a PLC project that requires sending ASCII commands/queries to an external pressure transducer using the Micro 850 PLC (2080-SERIALISOL module) via serial port communication (ASCII protocol) and in response the PLC would read pressure readings from the transducer. I was able to write a ladder logic program that reads ASCII code from the transducer and converts it into string and inversely converts string output from the computer to ASCII and sends it to the transducer. However, I am uncertain as to how I should send the command string from my computer so that the external transducer receives it, recognizes it after the <cr><lf> is encountered and sends a pressure reading. Any suggestions as to how I can type in commands from my computer and receive responses from the transducer?

Do you happen to have any kind of HMI/SCADA or input device to write values from computer to PLC?

21 hours ago, ameyzingg said:

Do you happen to have any kind of HMI/SCADA or input device to write values from computer to PLC?

I don't have access to any HMI/SCADA or input device. According to this: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm013_-en-p.pdf, I can use RSLogix to send ASCII strings to ASCII triggered devices such as MessageViewer Terminal using the AWA/AWT functions (by typing the hex code for the ASCII string in the input value field of the AWA/AWT). Can something similar be done to send ASCII commands from my computer to the pressure transducer via the PLC (Micro 850)? The only way the transducer responds with a pressure reading is when it encounters that command from the computer (I tried this with Putty and it worked, the transducer sent out ASCII text to the terminal for pressure reading). Btw, I am using a 2080-SERIALISOL plug-in module for serial port communication with the transducer.