TigerLily

NX1P EtherCAT Master to Beckhoff EtherCAT Coupler

30 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am working on a quote for a new project that will use EtherCAT but also requires DeviceNet for some legacy components.  Has anyone successfully used the Beckhoff EtherCAT coupler (EK1100) with the DeviceNet Master Terminal (EL6752) and an Omron PLC as the EtherCAT master? My concern is that the coupler will only communicate with the Beckhoff EtherCAT master, but since it is so much more expensive to get the new Omron parts to communicate DeviceNET i am hoping this could be an option.  The equipment is extremely simple and price is a major consideration.

Thank you!!!

If the device is truly compliant with EtherCAT, the brand of master should not matter.

I would think it would be compliant since Beckhoff created the Ethercat standard.

So I ended up using the NJ CPU with an Omron DeviceNet card, Beckhoff was not sure that the Omron EtherCAT Master would communicate with the DeviceNet Master card on the Beckhoff EtherCAT coupler, they were certain that we would have no issues communicating with the Beckhoff EtherCAT coupler, but the issue was then communicating to the DeviceNet Master since that was designed to work with their PLCs, since I already have the Beckhoff components laying around I am hoping to try it some time, but I just didn't have time on this project and had to go with what I knew for certain would work!

Thank you for your input and if I ever get time to try it out I will let you know the outcome!

Did any of you had the chance to try this?

At this moment I'm trying to connect an OMRON NX1[]2 EtherCAT Master with a Beckhoff EtherCAT Coupler EK1100, with some digital input/output cards EL1809 and EL2809 (in the ECT coupler). I'm able to install the .esi file for the coupler, but it brings the PDO empty, so in the I/O Map, I can't have any input/output variables to access the digital points of the cards attached to the coupler.

I've managed to use in the past some Beckhoff EtherCAT modules (like the EP1008 and EP1009) where the .esi file brings the correct PDO (I/O Map Variables available), but this is a different scenario, because it's not modular (like a card expander coupler mentioned above).

Thank you all!

Hey,

correct me if I'am wrong but it sounds like you have only installed the esi file of the coupler itself.

There are esi files for the cards too. These should have the correct PDO map settings that you are looking for.

greetings.

Hey!

You assumed correctly! I've found that I only had the coupler esi file, yes.

I've installed already each card .esi file and it already appears the PDO and respective variables in the I/O Map. I didn't have updated before this topic because I didn't tested it yet.

But it appear something strange after this. For each coupler's card, it's requesting an EtherCAT node address, as you can see in the picture attached, wich for me doesn't make that much sense, since this cards are not in the EtherCAT network. Do I really need to supply each card an unique node address? Or is it just some "bug" in the SYSMAC, and should just put some value so it "stops nagging me"? :-D

Thank you!

Best Regards!

SYSMAC ETHERCAT.jpg

SYSMAC ETHERCAT.jpg

This is correct.

It seems ( at least thats what I think ) that the coupler works as an EtherCat Hub and the cards act like an own line of nodes.

This works for me but I'am new to the beckoff coupler and sysmac topis as well. I'll add information if I have any new things to say about this.

greets

Dear Friends.

Can you pls share how to connect NX1P2 with Beckhoff Ethercat coupler? I tried but can not connect.

Thank you so much.

11 hours ago, cuongvcs said:

Dear Friends.

Can you pls share how to connect NX1P2 with Beckhoff Ethercat coupler? I tried but can not connect.

Thank you so much.

What do you mean by can't connect? Did Sysmac accept the ESI file? Do you see the coupler when you do a compare and merge? What is the model number of the coupler?

12 hours ago, cuongvcs said:

Dear Friends.

Thank you so much.

The last several messages here explain how to do it.  Did you read it before posting?  What more information do you want?

On 10/1/2021 at 7:40 PM, photovoltaic said:

What do you mean by can't connect? Did Sysmac accept the ESI file? Do you see the coupler when you do a compare and merge? What is the model number of the coupler?

Dear.

the Beckhoff coupler is EK1100. I has add ESI to Sysmac and add to Ethercat network. but not set address to EK1100. 

To set the address of the EK1100 you likely need to go online with the PLC and right click on the ethercat master and choose "Write Slave Node Address".

Never used the EK1100 but I don't see mention of any physical switches to set it.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, photovoltaic said:

To set the address of the EK1100 you likely need to go online with the PLC and right click on the ethercat master and choose "Write Slave Node Address".

Never used the EK1100 but I don't see mention of any physical switches to set it.

Hi.

Thank for your info.

I tried to write slave node add. But can not write to EK1100. It show wrong connect. But I connect from Ethercat port of NX1P direct to EK1100. And tried connect to ethernet switch but the result is the same.

I don't know correct the revision of EK1100 but not show in the label.

The led of Ethercat port flash. 

Can you pls advise to me more if you have any idea to solve this issued. Im new with Omron and Beckhoff.

Many thanks.

Well for starters ethernet switches don't work with ethercat. Just go straight from the ethercat port on the PLC to the IN port on the coupler.

I'm not sure I'll be of much assistance on this one as I've never used that coupler.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, photovoltaic said:

Well for starters ethernet switches don't work with ethercat. Just go straight from the ethercat port on the PLC to the IN port on the coupler.

I'm not sure I'll be of much assistance on this one as I've never used that coupler.

Dear 

Thanks.

Has tried direct from PLC to IN port of EK1100. Let me check something and try again.

Thank you so much.

Dear all.

I found this issued cause by 3 module analog. Node 6,7and 8. The Sysmac studio show " not checked" and download not ok. If remove 3 module and download back and work is OK. I dont know why? It ok only digital module not for analog module.

Can you pls advise to me how to solve this issued. 

20211003_180819.jpg

Edited by cuongvcs

I tried connect EK1100 direct with TC3 and check all IO module OK.

but connect to Omron PLC error.

Pls help me to look this issued.

Many thanks

Hi ,

Anyone have try  communication between Omron NX plc   and beckhoff bridge? EL6692 or 6695? its communication between KRC 4 to PLC.

I have tried few times ,but show state transition may have failed . unable to communicate

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-01 at 4.11.27 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 9.03.43 PM.jpeg

Edited by Mohan1984
Attached picture to get more info,thx

On 08/10/2021 at 3:33 AM, cuongvcs said:

I tried connect EK1100 direct with TC3 and check all IO module OK.

but connect to Omron PLC error.

Pls help me to look this issued.

Many thanks

On 03/10/2021 at 11:58 AM, cuongvcs said:

Dear all.

I found this issued cause by 3 module analog. Node 6,7and 8. The Sysmac studio show " not checked" and download not ok. If remove 3 module and download back and work is OK. I dont know why? It ok only digital module not for analog module.

Can you pls advise to me how to solve this issued. 

20211003_180819.jpg

I'm not sure if I understood the issue?
You're saying that you can't communicate at all? Your problem is about the node addresses of each module? Or is it missing some modules on the download/synchronysing window?
From what I saw, you've tested with TC3, and it worked....I believe that you're missing the addressing steps, mentioned on this post before, where you have to go to the EtherCAT menu (Sysmac), right click on the EtherCAT Master and press "Write slave node address", and then, you have to write the same node addresses that you have selected in your network (from what I see: 6, 7 and 8).
If it's missing some module, check if you have the right .esi file corresponding to the module version.
It's not a compability issue with different brands as mentioned/"suspected" before, because I could already manage to make it run for 2 different machines.

On 02/12/2021 at 2:08 PM, Mohan1984 said:

Hi ,

Anyone have try  communication between Omron NX plc   and beckhoff bridge? EL6692 or 6695? its communication between KRC 4 to PLC.

I have tried few times ,but show state transition may have failed . unable to communicate

Hello Mohan1984

I also wanted to try this before on my first KUKA integration with OMRON, but I was not sure if it would be running "smoothly" since we're talking about 2 EtherCAT Master devices communicating, so I setup an EtherNet/IP Network. (I've never seen this equipment (middleware) running in any other application but my KUKA distributors says that it works fine.)
This topic is being discussed and solved (I think) in another post, from what I searched. Please check the following link:

NJ to Kuka EL6695 EtherCAT bridge (secondary side) - NJ Series / Sysmac Studio - Forums.MrPLC.com

Hope it helps!

Dear All,

I read this topic, because I would like to connect an OMRON NX1P2 CPU with a Beckhoff EK1100 coupler. I connected the devices each other directly with Cat6 SFTP cable. I downloaded the ESI files and imported them to Sysmac Studio. First I try to get the modules information, next I try the write slave node address option. None of them worked, it’s say the system is busy. Next  I check the revisions of the Beckhoff  modules, made the ethercat structure and download to the CPU. After this the CPU shown an alarm in the wiring. If I try to get modules information it say I connected the devices at wrong port. Is anyone encountered with this problem? Any idea? Afternoon I’ll try to connect an NX-ECC module to rule out the CPU port error.

Thank you!

error.PNG

troubleshooting.PNG

troubleshooting2.PNG

Dear All,

I tried the NX-ECC202 coupler and its working fine. So the CPU port is good.

2 hours ago, robagRebts said:

Dear All,

I tried the NX-ECC202 coupler and its working fine. So the CPU port is good.

Is your PLC firmware 1.40 or higher?

In the multiview explorer right click on the PLC icon at the top and choose change device

The firmware is 1.18! Do I need to upgrade?