marea01

Connect NSJ5-SQ00B-M3D PT to CJ2H PLC

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an Omron NSJ5-SQ00B-M3D Programmable Terminal (HMI) that I am trying to get to communicate with an Omron CJ2H PLC through a DeviceNet module (DRM21) in the main PLC rack.  I don't see how to configure CX-Designer to communicate via DeviceNet.  How is this done?  Many thanks for any help.

This is done in CX-Integrator

Go online with the PLC side and from your IO Table and unit setup navigate to the device net module. Right click on it and choose start with settings inherited. This will open CX-Integrator and you setup DeviceNet here

Thanks for your reply photovoltaic!  

Correct.  I believe I have the settings correct in CX-Integrator with routing table and all.  I've included a link to a screenshot of what I've pushed to the PLC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JzoEq963hYt-_kVAoF3uPhQG5hwYqp5w/view?usp=sharing

The major challenge I have is setting up communication within the HMI program via CX-Designer.  I've also included links to a couple of screenshots from CX-Designer, Communication Settings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ivu3o5_R49VfqvMmx07qih4QEPnM7sbw/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1ShoZkkw_jO3wdK3frkvaNAResxwVJi9X/view?usp=sharing.  It looks like DeviceNet is not even an option.  And, curiously, if I add a ControllerLink and close out the dialog, the next time I option communication settings, it's been moved to Ethernet.  The HMI I have doesn't have Ethernet.  So I either need to figure out DeivceNet or Serial (I've tried for longer with serial without success.)  Thanks for help!

I believe for DeviceNet you will have to retrieve the data over DeviceNet with the NSJ PLC side and then read those registers with the HMI (from the NSJ PLC). Serial comms IMO would be a lot easier. 

What have you tried for serial comms? Omron has a unique pinout for their DB9 connectors, you'll need a specific cable. It's pretty straight forward once you have the right cable.

If you wish to build your own I can tell you the cable layout

Ok, cool.  Thank you.  That is very helpful.  I suspected I may have the wrong serial cable config.  When I try to use the 1:N link auto-online option in cx-integrator to connect to the HMI, it does not find it as it should if it's connected properly.  Yes, please share the correct cable pinout.  Is there one I can buy?  Should I give up on the DeviceNet approach or do you have any other ideas in that regard?   

I think at this point DeviceNet will get you communicating the fastest. The only downside is if you want to read a register that isn't linked in DeviceNet you'll have to go through the mapping and transfer process on both PLCs and CX-Integrator. You could mitigate this by just linking more registers than you need but there is still that mapping that needs to be done on the CJ and keeping track of the mapping through the NSJ PLC and HMI. If you have the time Serial is a better solution IMO.

Cables are available, they are a bit pricey and you may run into long lead times. I've always recommended building your own if you have the ability. This is a good article on the cable and settings:

https://www.musbikhin.com/how-to-connect-hmi-ns8-with-plc-cj1m/

After talking with colleague, I'm beginning to figure out DeviceNet comm... 

Ok.  Understood.  Thanks very much photovoltaic.  I see the article.  Where would one get the special cable?

6 minutes ago, marea01 said:

Ok.  Understood.  Thanks very much photovoltaic.  I see the article.  Where would one get the special cable?

The cable part number is CBL-804. I see Digikey has 2 in stock. You can check with some Omron distributors in your area, I'm not sure which ones are there but I doubt they would stock it.

For about 1/10th of the price you could build your own. Your call.