Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morne

UDP Communication to PC using MSG instruction

5 posts in this topic

Hi All

I need to receive data from a PC application using UDP on my Logix5563 PLC, Is there any example applications that I can follow? as the documentation does not really guide you for UDP open communication.

Kind regards

Morne

You'll want to look at the manual(s) for your ethernet card.  I did a TCP Socket program from a 5571 to a videojet printer a couple years ago so I know it can be done.  You'll need to create your own housekeeping sequence logic to Declare Connection, Open Connection, Receive Data, Close Connection and Kill Connection.  Each Operation requires it's own message instruction.  

I'd start with one of these manuals:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/enet-at002_-en-p.pdf

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/enet-um006_-en-p.pdf

And be warned not all ethernet cards are created equal.  Some won't do open sockets.

Thank you, I saw that the EN2T is the one to go for.

Also don't get caught like I did and set your timeouts too short.  While a command may complete in less than a second today, if network traffic is heavier tomorrow it may take 3 or 4 seconds.

I am having a bit of trouble with setting the Path, my Ethernet module is called ENT and sits in slot 1, the IP address for the module is set to 192.168.2.220.

Do I set my path as ENT,1,192.168.2.220?

Because If I follow documentation they say I should just make it 1,1 but if I do this I get a error: Class or instance not supported?