Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Liam2021

Factorytalk View Testing

4 posts in this topic

Hello I am new to the programming world. I have a existing factorytalk SE project and acd file from a customer.

They want some modifications and additions to both PLC and HMI. Project is FTV SE V11 and Studio5000 V32. 

What I would like help with is after I am make my changes to both graphics and PLC, I want to test it out before  going to site. Issue I have is a lot of the stuff on the graphics are pointing to the plants PLC . When I make a emulated copy of the plc program the link for the tags is still different so HMI screens are full of x's. 

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for the help

Hi Liam2021, If you are emulating from the logix emulate I don't think you can simulate your entire program. If you are executing it from a PLC, check the tags that point to the objects you have since the Scada may not have communication with the PLC or it is not recognizing an address. Try to update the list of the tags you have, but if all the objects are overpowered with a red cross, it may be your communication

It kind of sounds like you answered your own question.  I wouldn't necessarily say your are doing anything wrong, I think your testing is wrong.  If you are going to emulate the PLC it is usually better to emulate one routine at a time by exporting that into a dummy project.  Trying to emulate entire projects all at once by just changing the IO and Motion Group makes testing slow and inaccurate.  Just export the changes you made into a dummy project and verify that the code is working the way you want by creating statuses in that project.  

I keep a L-83E on my desk if I need to test large projects and I can't break it into smaller pieces, it tends to be a paper weight though.  I should probably dust it off again.

Tangential Comment : I've found mounting "C" channel or Uni-strut to the back of the PLC with the opening facing down and then mounting another "C" channel or unistrut to the wall opening facing up, let's you hang an entire backplane for easy storage and yet move it to a bench for easy testing.  Assumes you ahve the "spare" equipment and wall space.