Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Popnfrsh24

Powerlink AS Protocol Messages

5 posts in this topic

Hey there,

So I am helping another engineer with a job that he has.  I'm the senior engineer here that has integrated to Square D Powerlink GXT3 and GXT4 smart breaker panels.  After a lot of research, I figured out how to make the proper commands in order to turn off breakers and via an Omron SCU module spitting out serial commands.

So, when I started to look at the pictures the engineer took, I was surprised to find that the controllable Square D Panels have a "Powerlink AS" controller.  It seems like this is the earliest version of the powerlink panels.  I deduced this because every manual I have found (I haven't found too many) are dated back in 1995-1998.

So, I'm concerned that whatever I program usually for the GXT3 and GXT4 panels won't be what these old Powerlink AS Panels will accept.  In the GXT3 and GXT4 controllers, the messages are based off of the "Master address" you assign it, then you can build the modbus commands off of it.  I have no clue if I will expect this for these Powelink AS Panels.

In all the docs I have found, I don't see anything that lists how to build a message, or anything related to some sort of message protocol.  Do any of you wizards know what kind of commands to expect programming?

Worst case scenario, we are going to go back to site, and literally connect the outgoing messages to our computer via a 232 to usb converter.  And bring along 485 adapter if needed.  But, it would give me some comfort if I could figure out how to build the commands before hand.

Can anybody help point me in the right direction on this?  Attached to here are the pictures of the PLC/serial module, as well as a picture of one of the powerlink AS panels.  I believe in the PLC picture, the serial stuff is on the "COMM CONTROL" and the "OMNI-COMM" cards.  Not sure why they are tied together like that as well, makes me a bit concerned its not spitting out just simple commands.  I believe the 1771-DB/B card is a basic card that is sending messages to a video matrix switcher that isn't there anymore, but I could also be wrong on that.

Any help is appreciated!

Pop

IMG_1305.JPG

was having a hard time getting 2nd picture uploaded even after I blasted everything away and size < 3.91 mb...so i guess just trust me its a "Powerlink AS" controller lol

I'm going to let someone else chime in since I've never dealt with any of those option modules...but...there's....a lot going on there. That's an Ethernet PLC-5 PLC communicating via:
1)  Both built-in DH+/RIO channels
2)  An add-on DH+/RIO channel (Comms module)
3)  Built-in Ethernet port
4)  Built-in serial port
5)  Basic module serial port
6)  Serial port?? on the Comms module
7)  OMNII-Comm module
That's a lot of communicating. Do you have access to the RSLogix 5 file for the PLC?

So I'm back...we basically contacted the OMNII-COMM company, and the guy who initially worked on this project was still working there.  They actually make new ethernet based modules, so a coworker just had to download the configuration off of this, and he was able to ship us a new OMNI comm.  Then, it takes care of whatever messages are being sent to the square D panels, and apparently we just send it an ethernet based MODBUS command to get it working.

Now, I've been pretty hands off with this and this is going to another engineers lap, so I'm a bit out of the loop.  But basically we have an Omron CJ2H-CPU64 EIP PLC that we will be installing, and we also use Indusoft web studio v8.0 as an HMI. 

Just a quick look and it seems like that Omron processor does NOT do Modbus TCP commands?  We thought we were going to be flinging bits out of the omron processor to talk to this, but does this mean we cant?  I just quickly did a search and it looks like Indusoft has some Modbus driver sheets, but it looks like it can only be serial??  Are we screwed?  Any help is appreciated!

Since you're looking at replacing what was an AB rack with an Omron, you might want to ask about the CJ2H and Modbus in the Omron section of the site. I know there are Protocol Gateways which would bridge between Modbus TCP and whatever the CJ2H speaks, but the Omron experts will know better.