spark man

getting the information out of a plc2 basic module

30 posts in this topic

I need some help.  i have a plc2/05 with a 1771-DB basic module.  I need to get the information off of the basic module so i can do a plc upgrade .  I found a older computer with the correct serial port on the back and i have the correct cable 1784-CP10.  I downloaded a free trial of windows HyperTerminal.  I am using com 1 with settings of 1200 baud, no parity, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit . i get the > on the screen when it says connected and when i type list and hit enter all that comes up on the screen is  0              **B1000000000045A       

I'm pretty sure there should be more information than that in there.  i have very little experience with plc2 and none with basic modules.  Any body have any ideas what i am doing wrong?

I've been around machines that had Basic Modules installed, but never interacted with them. Do you have the manual? I looked quickly and I too would expect a different result from the LIST command. The returned value doesn't seem valid.

Do you have another PC with a serial port? Maybe an older one running XP with a native port instead of a virtual one? I believe XP came with HyperTerminal. I also know weird things happen when using virtual COM ports and newer operating systems aren't always good about handling HyperTerminal.

1 person likes this

Yes I do have a manual for the basic module. i have looked through it a little bit and from what i read it should be about 50 to 100 lines of info. 

I am currently using one with windows vista on it.  I don't have any other options for computers. this is the only one i could find here at work that had a serial port on it.   My IT guy is going to look to see if he has windows xp software.    

You don't need an older computer if you have a usb - serial converter, also PuTTy" is a great terminal emulator. 

Have you used a USB converter with the 1771-DB? There are some devices out there, especially older ones, that won't work with USB adapters but need a native port.

Hi Joe, I haven't but i will today and post the results, I have had older software that can't use a serial convertor that must use a physical port, but for using a terminal emulator I haven't run into any issues. 

Hi Joe,

No problem with using putty on windows 10 running on vmware fusion. with a usb-serial convertor.

1771-db.thumb.png.35dca138813ddf85ec1c01

Guys this is all good information.  I am going to try all of this stuff.  I have a windows 10 machine and usb cables.  i am going to look for the putty program this morning and get it installed and will give it a shot.  Thanks for the help 

chelton:
That's good to know! I know one of the biggest problems I've had with USB converters was communicating with PLC-2s, so it's good to know that the -DB works. Did you use the 1784-CP10 that OP mentioned? Or just a 3-wire null modem? The -CP10 has jumpers on some of the pins.

spark man: is this a machine that's running? If so, is there any way you could power down the chassis and pull out the BASIC module? I'd be curious if it's actually doing anything in the process. Is anything connected to the comm ports during normal operation? Some of the machines I've seen that had BASIC modules weren't using them any more.

chelton:
That's good to know! I know one of the biggest problems I've had with USB converters was communicating with PLC-2s, so it's good to know that the -DB works. Did you use the 1784-CP10 that OP mentioned? Or just a 3-wire null modem? The -CP10 has jumpers on some of the pins.

spark man: is this a machine that's running? If so, is there any way you could power down the chassis and pull out the BASIC module? I'd be curious if it's actually doing anything in the process. Is anything connected to the comm ports during normal operation? Some of the machines I've seen that had BASIC modules weren't using them any more.

Can you please tell me what settings you have set in the putty config screen.  I downloaded putty and pugged my usb to serial converter in and its on com3.  I selected the serial option and set it to com3 and set the speed to 1200 and clicked the open button.  when I type in list I get the same thing i was seeing with HyperTerminal. 

joe e:  the machine is running but not today so i can try different things on it.  there are no cables plugged into the front of it.  it does have a  newer chip installed into it.   

I am also plugged into the programing port when I am connected with my computer, should I be using the Peripheral Port instead? 

Sorry, man, you're now beyond my experience with these things. The only place I've ever seen them used is to interact with a dataliner display for the operator to enter a few parameters. Does it look like the code you see in the PLC is complete? Can you tell if the -DB is doing some machine code?

I've only worked with one BAS Module in my life, but it was with a USB Converter.  I can tell you , not all converters are created equal.  Some will work and others won't.  Rockwell even for a while maintained a list of supported converters.  Of course the top of that list was their pricey module!  But if yours is working you're probably good.  DO you know for sure this BAS module is doing anything in the PLC2?  It almost sounds like it was never configured or "died" from the response you're getting.

yes as far as i can tell it is doing something.  The company that help me convert the plc2 program  (soft plc)  also said that there is info in the basic mod that they need to fully complete the conversion.    I have never had to do anything with a plc2/05 before.  I just got into this old stuff in the spring when we got a used piece of equipment in that has this processor in it.  i attached a pdf copy of the program if any has any time or interest to take a look at it and give me their opinion if the basic mod is doing anything. 

SD99231.pdf

Edited by spark man
miss spelled word

If the BAS module is doing something there should be some BTR and BTW to from the unit. Are you in command mode? 

Press control C to exit run mode and enter command mode. You should be seeing a > prompt.

Even though there a no cable connected to the front connectors, back in the day I would use a DB module as a Maths-Coprocessor on legacy PLC5's

My terminal settings were just 1200k /8N1 

I believe that is what they are using this one for.  Math stuff.  I would say I'm still in run mode because I did not do any thing but type list.  Once I exit run and enter command mode,  how do I get it back to run mode?  control c again?   

Control C will break the operation and stop the program, entering command mode. You can continue from where is stopped by typing "cont" or let it start from the beginning by typing "run"

Chelton,

Please see attached word doc for a screen shot of what it said when I did the above process.

So I think there is something wrong with the basic mod.  its kind of weird the machine has been running good since reloaded the program on it on we got and installed good batteries. They unpowered the machine and  did not check the processor batteries before shipping it to us and once we got it, the program was gone. I had to take the pdf copy of the program we got with it and reenter it in. After that everything has been working.  But I think something happened to basic mod at that time too.  it has a chip installed in it. Do you know how to load the program from the chip?  

New Microsoft Office Word Document.docx

Definately looks like the db module program is corrupt. Why not disable the btr/btw to the db module and see if there is any effect on the machine. Judging by the output I'm guessing it's doing nothing.

You can use the ROM and RAM commands to load the program from the chip. Read the manual first though. 

ok thank you I will try that first before i try anything with loading the program.

I'll rephrase what I said. Judging by the response you receive from db module it appears the memory is corrupt, and therefore not operating. This does not mean the module does nothing, but that something in the plc program may not be functioning correctly, because the db module is not running its program.

From command mode enter "call 81"

This will tell you if there are any valid programs stored in the eeprom