Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Polardude

Interfacing A Slc-500....

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm a robotic student at PHS and I arrived here hoping to find an complete answer. I was wondering if anyone knew how to interface a SLC-500 to a C++ program on the PC? What I was planning on doing was to hook up a serial cable to the analong module and one of two com ports on the PC. Then, communicate in binary between the plc and the C++ program..... If this is correct, then how do I go about it? If there are alternatives, please feel free to post... I am looking forward in making this work!!! Please include as much detail as possible..... Thanks!!!! P.S. I am using RSLogix 500 for programming the SLC-500....

I think you might find most of your answers when you download the AB DF1 (rs-232) protocol PDF here: http://www.mrplc.com/dl/index.php?action=v...ntry&entryid=28 Hope that helps. Please come back and post your code when you are done

Thanks!!! I'll update soon with the results......

I think you'd want to connect to the RS-232 port on the SLC500/3 or SLC500/4 and use the DF1 protocol. You could also use a BASIC module and communicate thru it using the AB BASIC command set - vs C++ and learning DF1. Have fun, Doug

Trade your SLC500 in for a Logix processor and use structured text to put your C code in the PLC using RSLogix5000. The Logix controllers are great for motion (you did mention robotics?).