scotty134

View Designer 7.01 - Project Explorer display issue

16 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm using View Designer 7.01 and experience anomalies in project explorer. When I move mouse cursor over project explorer, highlighted lines render with anomalies. I have tried to create new project with different HMI and  and versions, but it didn't help. (picture in attachment)

Anybody experience this problem before?

Thanks in advance!

Scotty

viewdesigner_anomalies.png

Not had the Privilege / Horror of using View Designer yet @scotty134 , but i'll reply to try and get you some more exposure and hopefully an answer.  

@Ken Roach or @TimWilborne may have some thoughts or know other user who can help.

Given you've been waiting 10 days for a response, did you also reach out to your RA Distributors Tech Expert?

I did reach out to AB Tech, but they are useless. Tech support pointing into Windows or screen resolution. It's ridiculous.

The most interesting that it's laptop wit fresh windows and non software was installed before. I have colleague who has same tool set as I and his View Designer runs with no problem. 

Like Bob, I haven't used it except to open a test project to see if I could figure out how awful it was (sorry, FT View Studio and CCW may have me a bit biased against AB's newer HMI software...). I don't have that same issue in my test program. I'm using View Designer v6.01 in a virtual machine running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional, SP1.

My first thought, honestly, is video drivers. I've had weird things happen video-wise that had nothing directly to do with the software in question.

I though on video card drivers as well. All video drivers (internal and main) up to date. 

What are you guys using as HMI for AB PLC in this case? I prefer to have "bundle" PLC+HMI+SERVO from same manufacturer....usually it saves a lot of time...when software is good :)

Edited by scotty134

We have a mess here. Before I started last February, they didn't have anyone really specifying stuff. On our older AB machines with SLC500s, we have PanelView Standard HMIs. The newer machines with Logix 5000 PLCs have PanelView+, PanelView+6 (compact and standard), PanelView+7 (standard and performance), Red Lion Kadet, Maple Systems, and Schneider HMIs. Those are the ones I've found so far; there may be more. The ones with the higher end PV+6/7 HMIs don't need them at all but they're using them anyway.

19 hours ago, scotty134 said:

Tech support pointing into Windows or screen resolution. It's ridiculous.

It is but unfortunately, this is usually the problem. A colleague of mine just fixed an older version of AutoCAD due to the newer touch screen drivers. I had this issue on FactoryTalk View some time ago. It turned out to be the Windows screen 'scaling'. Try setting your display to 1:1 scaling or 100%. This particular fix was called out in the RA knowledge base.

27 minutes ago, IO_Rack said:

It is but unfortunately, this is usually the problem. A colleague of mine just fixed an older version of AutoCAD due to the newer touch screen drivers. I had this issue on FactoryTalk View some time ago. It turned out to be the Windows screen 'scaling'. Try setting your display to 1:1 scaling or 100%. This particular fix was called out in the RA knowledge base.

My current settings - 1920x1080 - 100% Scale and it's not UHD screen. I have tried to reduce resolution from 1920x1080 to lower one and change few scale settings as well. I have checked my colleague settings, we have same settings for screen and same video card. 

To maybe help isolate it, do you have an external monitor you can plug in? Try it both mirrored and extended.

2 hours ago, Joe E. said:

To maybe help isolate it, do you have an external monitor you can plug in? Try it both mirrored and extended.

Thanks for an idea. I will try it today or Monday.

Edited by scotty134

I had looooong Monday. I have tried that idea and it didn't work in my case. I used internal monitor, external with mirrored and extended option..

We all understand long, multi-day Mondays....

My old laptop has two connections for external monitors: VGA and HDMI. My new one only has a single HDMI but I have a docking station for it that offers a few more options. I believe that my older laptop actually has more than one video card in it and I've had weird things happen on one connection but not the other. You may have ruled that out by using internal and external screens. About all I can suggest is uninstall/reinstall the software. Which version of Studio 5000 do you have? I have up to v32 installed and only have view designer 6.

I've had one other thought.  Check the minor versions and updates that you and your associate have on your systems.  I've known people to tell me. "both machines are the same"  and then one is Won 10 -1803 and the other Win 10 -1809 and there be issues.

21 hours ago, Joe E. said:

We all understand long, multi-day Mondays....

My old laptop has two connections for external monitors: VGA and HDMI. My new one only has a single HDMI but I have a docking station for it that offers a few more options. I believe that my older laptop actually has more than one video card in it and I've had weird things happen on one connection but not the other. You may have ruled that out by using internal and external screens. About all I can suggest is uninstall/reinstall the software. Which version of Studio 5000 do you have? I have up to v32 installed and only have view designer 6.

I have installed the latest versions of Studio 5000 v32.00 and v.33.00 and view designer is v5.2.00000.00038 and v7.1.00000.02016. Both versions don't work well. I will try to install older version 30-31 and take a look how it works.

20 hours ago, BobLfoot said:

I've had one other thought.  Check the minor versions and updates that you and your associate have on your systems.  I've known people to tell me. "both machines are the same"  and then one is Won 10 -1803 and the other Win 10 -1809 and there be issues.

My current Win 10 Pro build 19042.685.

Rockwell support sucks! They became useless when you try to fix their own software. But they are ok when a question is about how to find smth (button, tool, manual) or how to install/uninstall their crappy expensive software.

I've finally fixed this issue! 

Go to Registry Editor in your Windows. 

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics

Create DWORD value key "DisableHWAcceleration", set parameter to 1

Edited by scotty134