Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
binfordw

General Micrologix help

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been working on an older NDT inspection unit, that uses a micrologix 1400 + 300 micro PV that is networked via serial to a RF transceiver unit and a windows PC.  I have little documentation to go from on this setup, and have been unsuccessful in contacting the original manufacturer so far.  

After various settings, I have been able to verify working serial ports on the PC and transceiver unit.  I now have been able to get an error 615 on the 300 micro panelview, which I believe is telling me I have node assignment issues.  

I am fairly inexperienced with AB, can someone give some input on some steps I could take to go about troubleshooting this?  

Any help is appreciated!

The manual says that error 615 is "Duplicate node address; more than one node was assigned the same address". It's a DH-485 network. When did you start having trouble? Do you have backup files of the source code for the PLC and HMI? The PLC file will have an "RSS" extension while the PV300 Micro will have either a "PVA" or "PBA" extension. Do you have RSLogix 500 and Panelbuilder 32 software?

The unit in service quit- with a PLC fault.  Later when I was asked to look into it, the PV had 612-613 errors, and there was no logic on the PLC.    We did not have a .rss backup for this machine, but I was able to power up one of the unused units from storage and save its .rss.    Unfortunately the 2 machines were not configured the same, physical I/O layout is different, as was apparently the network configuration.  I've been able to correct the I/O, but now I am a bit stuck trying to get the PC/transceiver to comm with the PLC.

I have RS500, but I do not have panelbuilder.  It also seems I cannot enter PV config menu due to the softkeys being assigned to functions.

Would the only 2 nodes on this setup be the PV and the plc?- As in, the windows PC and the Transceiver/PC are not considered nodes?

Gotcha. This could get tricky....

Without the PV project or the original PLC project, I don't know of a way to figure out what the node address of the PLC should be. All I can think of to try is to see what it is now and change it by one until the HMI starts talking. I think it's probable that the PLC's node address is near that of the HMI and PC. I've never used RS232 on a MicroLogix 1400 for a peripheral device, so I don't know if you're connected to channel 0 or channel 2. The manual can tell you which port is which. Double-click on "Channel Configuration" and go to the tab for the port you're using and change the "Node Address". It's not enough to just have it different from the HMI since the HMI is programmed to look for the PLC at a particular node, so it has to be right for it all to work.

There may be a much better way to do this, but I don't know it. If it were Ethernet/IP, you could use Wireshark to capture the packets coming from the HMI and that would tell you what the IP address of the PLC should be, but I don't have any tools for doing the same on DH485.

Ok, that sounds like where I'm at.  Early on, I had "guessed" a bit by changing the settings/address in the channel config, but no luck yet.   I was hoping there was a different way to go about it, or atleast a way to tell if I was on the right path or not.  

I'm connected to port 0, and port 1 I believe is the rs232 connection to the PC and transceiver PC.  I'll try changing node addresses some more and see if I can make any headway.

Thanks for the help so far!

So, I dug out the manual. The 8-pin mini-DIN (round) connector is the RS-232/RS-485 connector while the 9-pin D-Sub connector is just RS-232. That means the round mini-DIN connector is channel 0 while the d-sub is channel 2. Make sure you're changing the node address on the right tab.

I wish I had more insight to offer. If you had PanelBuilder 32, you might be able to upload the project from the HMI and see what node the PLC should be at, but I don't know any other way to do this.

Thanks Joe, I do appreciate the help and any ideas.  I looked up a manual after you mentioned it- and realized why the difference in channels- this is actually a 1500 not a 1400.  Sorry about the confusion.

So channel 0 is set to node 1, and channel 1 I believe should be set to ascII to deal with the serial from the PC- with no node assignment.  

I might be able to get panelbuilder, will see how that goes.

Interesting....I don't think I've ever used a 1500, but I have two copies of the user manual I saved in 2012 and 2016. I didn't know they had different processors you could use.

If you had a copy of the PVA/PBA file, you could send it and I could open it up. It would be better if you can get the software yourself, though, so you can work with it in the future.