Bernard Rose

Studio 5000 Logix Designer

6 posts in this topic

Is it possible to print out Ouputs  cross references from a control logix program, like you could with A/B 2/30 programs

I never really print programs any more.  It's generally best to get used to just getting around in the software and using the cross reference function in there.  A printout can be very big.  I thought I would just test with one of my current programs and I gave up after it was showing 1000+ pages and wasnt even a tenth of the way through.  That said, the answer to your question is yes.  The cross reference will look very different as you have tasks/routines and programs as well as different programming languages other than ladder.  In the print setup you can go to the tags section and select to print the cross reference.  It will look something like this for each tag:

CoatPumpB.ManMode 0 BOOL
Coating Pump B Drive Interface Mode Select 0=Automatic 1=Manual
CoatPumpB.ManMode - VatRoom/CoatingPumpB - *5(OTU), 10(XIO), 6(XIO), 8(XIO)

First line is the tagname, value and type.  Second line is the description and the third is the cross reference.  VatRoom is a program and CoatingPumpB is a routine.  You can see the tag is used in an OTU on rung 5 and so on.

1 person likes this

That is very helpful! thank you

run 3

Edited by kathiham

Thanks Sparky. I'm afraid i'm an A/B family 2 dinosaur.

No problem.  Hope it helps.  I cut my teeth on the PLC5 and never had the opportunity to work with the PLC2, but a cross reference is a cross reference.  One of the things that has changed since that time is the mobility of the computers.  While I never worked with one, I had plenty of sites in my early years that had one and usually they had a large terminal right at the PLC for modifications.  If you wanted to look at the program anywhere else, you used the printout.  Now with the more mobile computers, it makes more sense just to learn to work within the software instead of prints.  The searching capabilities and speed of the newer computers all combine to make this much more efficient.  There is a mental change that you have to make to take this step.  I would suggest moving over to the computer for searches and other such operations.  It is a big mental step when you first go from the prints to the software but well worth struggling through.  The newbies never dealt with this issue as they always have used the software. 

In the PLC2 and SLC150 worlds (both using old DOS software), I would often use the laptop and printout at the same time. With the printout, you can see the comments and descriptions of all of the addresses on the rung at once instead of one instruction at a time in the software. The search function in the software was pretty painful to use, too.

With the PLC5 and newer, I only used the printout when there wasn't a PC available.