Artz

Data monitoring

6 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm a bit lost here. I work with Sysmac studio with a NJ101 Controller along with a NA5 HMI. I show a page with a trendGraph some of the variables values (turned into %) in real time that come as inputs from the NX-Units. Also save this data trace into a USB connected to the NA so it turns into a csv.

And that's it. But this does not give me a solution. I don't know if there's better ways for this. This seems not even a first step for a solid client side professional software.

So, I need some help here. I read somewhere I can also monitorize with function blocks on ladder and then later save the data on a SDCard and then later send that data to a server?. But I want to keep the visual page so I have to use a trendGraph and somehow connect both sides (controller and hmi)

What kind of solutions can Omron offer regarding Data Monitoring. I don't want to stop on having just a USB with a csv. file that a client has no idea on how to process that data.

What are some examples of a good Data tracing system with sysmac studio?

Thank in advance

Edited by Artz

You need to remember the HMI is a monitoring solution, not a data collection tool.  It does offer data logging, but as you said, it's basic.

You need to be looking at PC-based data collection options, such as SCADA for a more powerful interface.

The HMI is not as you called it 'client side professional software', it's feature set is limited.

On 27/11/2020 at 8:42 PM, Crossbow said:

You need to be looking at PC-based data collection options, such as SCADA for a more powerful interface.

Alright, but how? What technologies can I implement to do this? Is SCADA compatible with my already programmed HMI pages? Does the generated CSV via NA USB offer any solution like import the info into a Database? Or is more recommended to use function blocks on NJ to send the data I want via some communication protocol? Like send it to a server?

Thank you

Many of the NJ and NX models have the capability to write directly to a database server like SQL.  If you're trying to do data logging, that would be the most straightforward method.

You can do all kinds of things with CSV files, such as import to a database.  You just need to know what format the database wants its data in and the order of the columns.

SCADA has nothing to do with your HMI.  It's a separate software and communicates directly with the controller.

• You can transfer the CSV on the FTP Server of NA5. Client can get from there;
  • You can use OPC Server/OPC Client and get tags from controller (some OPC Server can dump to database);
  • You can push data from controller to client with socket;
  • Client can get data from controller with FINS protocol or EtherNet/IP;
  • You can publish data from controller with modbus;
  • You can publish data from controller with MQTT;
  • You can make a web server (and REST API) on the controller and the client use a browser to see data, example chartjs (It's my approach for HMI);
  • If your a developper, you can make a service (Windows) to listen socket and dump data to database of your choice (It's my approach for database);
  • You can use Scada software and viewer;

Thank you

I'm going to stick to the basics for the moment, that's all I can do with my limited knowlegde. Also I don't have a router or a server to connect my controller or NA to, so I cannot opt to many of these methods. I was hoping for a way to convert somehow that csv to a readable file (currently it's just a column with all the data) via any function by either controller or NA and also display it somehow on a NA page. Anyways I suppose I need to check some tutorials about all this matter.