jorism

connection to omron CJ1M PLC

18 posts in this topic

I have an omron PLC (CJ1M type) at home which I would like to connect to, however, lately, I can't anymore.  I'm trying on two different PC's a newer and an older one, both running on windows 10.

1 is just mentioning a DLL error and I can't even start cx-programmer, the other one seems to work, however, when I try to go online it always fails

I'm using a usb to serial device and after some searching on the net, I thought the issue was with the prolific driver.  I tried all kind of fixes, but nothing seemed to work. 

I have now purchased another device, the XS8801 from usconverters and installed the latest driver.  I have checked if cx programmer is set to work with the correct port and this is the case.

My knowledge is very limited but I would really want to connect to that PLC again, so hoping someone out here is able to help me.

Thanks a lot

Not sure if this will help, I use a VM for my software, but when using a usb-serial adaptor I have to force usb2 compatibility or my serial devices won't connect. 

Hi Sparky, thanks for the answer.  unfortunately, I don't know much about this. It was once installed for me and worked, no it doesn't.  what is VM and how do you force usb2 compatibility?

@jorism You should check that windows found your com port first by right click on "This PC" or "My Computer" then select "Manage" and check at "Device Manager" in topic "Port". If eveerything fine you should found com port if not you should check with USB driver.

For dll error you should check that you install CX-Programmer on CX-One correctly? 

Hi Wasan,

I did this.  The port is found as COM9 and this is also the port I'm using for the communication through cx-programmer.  When I try to go online, I get the standard message of "failed to connect to PLC.

The DLL error is on the other PC.  I have done a standard installation, nothing special, but it feels like it came up since a windows 10 update

Any other options?

Check your serial port programming cable.is it ok or not.Detection of Serial converter won't help to connect.Check other part too.

Hi ssk, what can i do to check? I just bought this new cable from usconcerters which ensured full compatibility with windows 10. Whzt other parts to check. Can you be a bit more specific

On 23/11/2020 at 7:09 AM, jorism said:

Hi Sparky, thanks for the answer.  unfortunately, I don't know much about this. It was once installed for me and worked, no it doesn't.  what is VM and how do you force usb2 compatibility?

VM is virtual machine, but you won't need to worry because it doesn't sound like your using one.

What cable are you using to connect to the plc. Omron doesn't use the standard pins 2,3&5. Check your cable pinouts. 

You need

PC	PLC
2 -	2
3 -	3
5 -	9

1 person likes this

Hi chelton

I dont see the pinouts at my pc.the out end of the cable connected to the plc  is female and i plug in an rs232 serial to usb converter model xs8801. Is used to work with one from profilic and it worked untill suddenly with windows 10. Identical set up.  I guess my answet does not help ? 

You need to use original omron serial cable (or make it) from converter to PLC due to non standart pinout (see chelton message)

Edited by vasekd
1 person likes this

Hi vasek, this was done. The cable that goes from the plc to the pc is then connected with my pc through this usb to serial converter. It has always worked in the past

1 person likes this

Your USB serial converter may not be supported properly.  I've found Keyspan to make a reliable one that works with every PLC I have used before.  Others do not implement the full serial command set and don't work well with automation equipment.

If you say the cable worked, so you know the cable is good, but you put in a new USB Serial adapter, why is that not your first stop when debugging it?

Just for reference, if you had a CJ2, it would have a USB port on board, no more need for serial cables and adapters.

I dont know what to debug.  If I check the device, it shows the com port and all mentions to be working correctly.  My communication settings in cx-prog, are also the same as the converter device.

I can check to buy a keyspan adapter if no other solution found

Try to use default serial setting - PLC DIP switch 5 ON.
The default settings for the RS-232C port are: host link mode, 1 start bit, 7
data bits, even parity, 2 stop bits, and a baud rate of 9,600 bps. 

Im using OMRON interface USB - serial CS1W-CIF31. But the price :-(

Edited by vasekd

Hi

I have done the above for most these 3 I can't see in the communication settings:

• DIP switch
  • start bit
  • host link mode (found this and is correct)

where can I find these settings?  which menu?

Edited by jorism
update

The DIP switches are on the front of the CPU... That's not a software thing.