Pat Kelleher

SLC 5/03 System Conversion To Ethernet

14 posts in this topic

Hi folks. Please refer to the attached schematic to understand the existing system.

The SCADA PC Server needs to be upgraded. The current PC Server has Windows XP OS using OPC Server technology to serve the SCADA system.

It has a  1784-PKTx Network Interface Card installed. My query is what can I use at this end of the system to convert the DH485 network to run on a Windows 10 OS with new OPC Sever and SCADA software Upgrade.

This end would be preferable due to the highly populated existing SLC 5/03 network.

The attachment is not uploading correctly. I'll try to resolve this for the full picture

You'll need to double check the feasibility of this with someone who has done {Rockwell Tech Expert} it but a ControlLogix Backplane with a 1756-ENET or 1756-ENBT and a 1756-DH485 card would route traffic from DH485 to Ethernet and you might be able to use a stock Ethernet OPC Server like RSlinx or Kepware on Windows 10 to serve data to the SCADA package of your choice.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um532_-en-p.pdf

The problem is the 1756-DH485 module was discontinued at the end of July 2015.

Alan.

Seen some DH485 to E/IP converters by ProSoft and others.  Might be worth a try.

Another option and this I have I also done is 1761-NET-AIC for DH485 to serial and 1761-Net-ENI for serial to ethernet.  Placing a pair of these back to back gives you DH485 to Ethernet.  Again @pcmccartney1  will let us know if I am recommending an obselete approach.

12 hours ago, BobLfoot said:

Another option and this I have I also done is 1761-NET-AIC for DH485 to serial and 1761-Net-ENI for serial to ethernet...

Both are discontinued. The first at the end of 2016 and the second mid-2017. They say there's a replacement for the -ENI from an encompass partner but none for the -AIC.

Their product lifecycle site is here:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/product-compatibility-migration/lifecycle-status/overview.page

Here's a gateway module from Prosoft:

https://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Gateways/EtherNet-IP/EtherNet-IP-to-DH-485-Gateway

I haven't used that one, but I have used their Profinet-EtherNet/IP gateway before with success. That one was easy to set up on the AB side but a royal pain on the Siemens side. I ended up having to involve Prosoft's support because their tutorials were all for TIA Portal and that machine's project was in Simatic Manager. Their support was good and we got it working fairly quickly.

My Google search for "DH485 Gateway" showed some other results as well but I don't know anything about them. I know Prosoft is solid, at least for other things...

Edited by Joe E.
Added Prosoft info

I just thought of something else that I'm considering on one of our lines that's controlled by a SLC 5/03.  There is a current product (though it's "Active Mature" so they're not developing it any more) that turns the SLC modular chassis into a remote EtherNet/IP rack: 1747-AENTR. You would then control it with a CompactLogix or ControlLogix PLC. Or maybe even SoftLogix, thought that's not my preference. Your SCADA would then have direct access to the PLC that's controlling the machine.

That may be a pricey option if there are a lot of 5/03s you want to connect and may not work if there are a lot of DH485 slave devices that the 5/03 controls. It's an option, though.

how about swapping CPU from 5/03 to 5/05?

My ProposalWorks keeps crashing so I can't check pricing, but he said it was a highly populated 5/03 network. If that's a bunch of 5/03s, it could get pricey to replace all of them with either 5/05s or a Compact/ControlLogix and AENTRs. Especially if there are other slave devices (like HMIs or I/O racks) on the DH485 network.

To Joe's point, I have done several projects where we install a CompactLogix and replace the SLC5/03 with the 1747-AENT.  There are limitations, i.e. certain modules that can not be in the rack.  Can't remember the specific ones, it's been 8+ years since I did this.  The manual for the 1747-AENT describes the limitations.

Knocking the rust off my memory of the 5/03 by reading the manual, it has a DH port and an RS232 port.  If the RS232 port is not in use there are good Serial to Ethernet options with Prosoft and others as well.  The 5/03 Serial port could also do serial modbus and many scada packages pick that up as well.  There will probably not be one easy solution given the equipment age, but it can be achieve with a little BS&T.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:14 AM, noeascencio said:

I would go with this option or any other ProSoft converter, such as a RS232 to ethernet. I've been using prosody for years, they're always easy to set up and most importantly, very reliable.

So....they clearly don't want us using the SLC 5/xx PLCs any more. List price on a low-end 5/05 is $9500. A low-end CompactLogix (1769-L16ER-BB1B) is $1720. The 1747-AENTR is $2610, so you could replace a 5/03 with a CompactLogix and Ethernet/IP module for $4330, or about half the cost of a 5/05. That's a bit crazy, but that's how AB gets people to migrate to newer platforms. We have a BUNCH of 5/03s here; it looks like we won't be migrating to the 5/05...

An appropriate gateway module to get access to the whole DH-485 network would still be more cost effective if you have more than one or two 5/03s to talk to or if there are other DH-485 slave devices.