_Pavel_

Fast data sampling form PLC to SCADA

7 posts in this topic

Dear all,

could you please give an idea...

I have to find a solution to transfer data from PLC to SCADA at relatively fast rates: I have to read appr. 20-30 x 32-bit vars every 5 ms.

Preferred PLC is Siemens or Beckhoff, but not obliged. SCADA is any can do this (Windows OS)

If there any tricks possible, say pack data at PLC side, then send into SCADA say every 100 ms, and then unpack at SCADA side (have no idea how to do that)?

Any idea is pretty much appreciated.

Many thanks!

If you need to record a sample every 5ms, I wouldn't even try to have the SCADA do it directly. Have the PLC record the samples and have the SCADA poll it periodically. Every 100ms is far more reasonable, but I would have the PLC record the data for much longer than that to accommodate communication glitches. You'd have to time stamp and serialize the samples so the SCADA knows which samples it's already gotten.

1 person likes this

Hello Joe E. thank you for your reply.

The idea is clear. But can you recommend any particular SCADA, that provides any means (scripting etc.) to decompose this packet coming from PLC and then put the data correctly into the database, on the diagrams, etc. I'm not familiar with different SCADAs. I'm familiar with WinCC, and I don't know such possibilities within WinCC.

I haven't done much SCADA work, but I would think that connecting to a database is a fairly standard feature for them. The only one I've worked with is AdvancedHMI, which is free open-source software that uses Visual Studio. I know it can connect to a database, but it's been a long time since I did that and the source code is long gone.

AdvancedHMI doesn't have drivers for Siemens, but their forum has some posts about folks using Modbus to talk to Siemens PLCs. I never tried that. They do have drivers for Beckhoff TwinCAT and I've tested it briefly using virtual machines, but just to display information, not log it to a database.

You have to build the code yourself. If that's not something you can tackle right now, I'd go with something else. I know that Ignition has been spoken well of here, but I'll let others chime in with specific solutions.

In case you want to check it out, here's a link to AdvancedHMI:

www . advancedhmi . com

Remove the spaces around the dots to make it work (the forum software is broken and doesn't like links).

Hello friends and "partners"!

I think we have a cheap and high-quality solution problem

1. Find ethercat adapters CREVIS in Russia via Google or Yandex. I can't insert links on this forum, sorry brother

2. On the CREVIS RU website you can find information about the Belarusian EtherCAT driver and EtherCAT Studio

There is a universal EtherCAT Master driver for embedding in SCADA and cool hardware from CREVIS 

I think 5 ms is not a problem, the question is whether your scada will be able to process the received data, how fast is our input-output

I would look into Ignition SCADA by Inductive Automomation. This is by far the best SCADA for managing databases. Scripting is python based, so there are plenty of free resources to learn this if you are unfamiliar. 

They let you try out their product for free, you just have to refresh the gateway every 2 hours. Not sure the cost for a license though.