chelton

Forum problems

27 posts in this topic

Is anyone actually working on fixing the forum? It's been terrible for weeks now, I can't post links without wrapping in code /code or attach images. I have this error at the top of the page  [[Template core/front/global/updateWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just asking 

4 people like this

Agreed. It doesn't seem like the owners care about the forum any more (if they ever did). There are no links to the forum from the home pages PDFSupply, Apex Waves, Wake Industrial, Ax Control, or Do Supply.

1 person likes this

A little trip down memory lane for folks.  Chris Elston founded mrplc.com in 1999 and until its sale in 2014 to pdfsupply was the sole maintainer of the site and the hosting infrastructure as well as paying to keep the infrastructure powered and hacker free.  Chris was aided by a number of selfless individuals, @Jay Anthony @TimWilborne @panic mode @Crossbowoo@Ken Moore @PdL @Sleepy Wombat and others who moderated the forums.  Chris resisted letting mrplc become an Omron or a Rockwell puppet site and made sure the next "caretaker" was manufacturer neutral.  The contact us link does reach out to sales@pdfsupply.com and 919-535-3180 is supposed to be their number.  If enough of us "complain" maybe we'll get an answer.  Having been an A+ site for so many years, it is a shame to see it decline.  Hopefully some new blood can encourage the owners.  Also we should remember that Covid-19 impacts everyone and may have impacted their site support staff.  

1 person likes this

that is exactly what i did and hope everyone else tries.... this is a fantastic resource for so many users and place where some of the most generous and brightest minds come or offer help, free of charge and without corporate overseer. I remember well trying to offer honest feedback to one of major automation company only to see ignorance and retaliation. This is precisely what attracted me to MrPLC because it is an independent and brand-agnostic forum. i sure hope that site receives deserver TLC and springs back to a former glory. 

So, there's been an update that just made it worse. The only way I was able to use the forum at all was by using the activity feed, which is cumbersome but usable. The direct links to that are now gone, so I have to use the "unread content" link at the top of a post to see what's unread and then click "activity" at the top of the feed.

Do any admins have any information about this being fixed?

Yep you can't even log out now without deleting your cookies..

please note that forum admins/moderators are not the ones working on forum functionality. this is what site owner/webmaster can look into, so i would like to encourage everyone to report in this thread if there is any other concern or wish. this would allow forum support/webmaster to look into issues in one place, rather than assuming everyone is happy or need to go fishing for clues. also try to be positive and provide details that would help addressing the issue. this means providing enough info to understand and reproduce issue, or why should that be considered an issue at all so that support/webmaster can evaluate it. for example i am always accessing forum for my machine and i may not see a reason to log out from some site i use often and always from my machine. and if using someone elses machine, why not use incognito mode (just an example, don't shot the messenger).

1 person likes this

I'll start.

Problems I am having:

1 - It appears regular users can not post links url's or even # tag another forum member into a post. ( Admin's don't appear to have this problem ) As i've seen other threads recently with these things.

2 - Login Logout feature has disappeared.

3 - When logged in I can't view forum index but when logged out I can. 

2 people like this

4  - While logged in a regular user actually can't look at much, I get a page not working error

5- when logged in theres you can't send a PM. You can't even access the page

6- It is a great forum and I hope it get's back to normal. 

7- When i said # tag earlier i meant 'at' symbol but I cant even put that..

8- Panic mode.. I'm not blaming the admin and thank you for helping rectify the forum. 

1 person likes this

Chelton..... I also can't able to login, tag, & so on..... Seems like same issues going on for every users

very good and thanks for pointing out issues. @ Chelton, no worries i actually checked and found no way to login/logout any more. you guys are correct.... this is exactly why we need everyone to report any lost functionality. without feedback there is little hope for improvements. :-2

also i notice that attachments no longer can be added to posts and link to Articles is broken (top right, next to Contact Us):

http://www.mrplc.com/kb/

I have used the "Contact Us" form explaining the issues I've had but got no reply. I was hoping that the Admins might have an inside scoop from the owners, but it looks like you guys don't.  I'll keep using my workarounds until it's fixed. I was able to create my own activity stream that gives me what I need for seeing and reading posts, but attachments and links are still a problem.

I notified the person in charge and shared link to this thread. Let's hope this is addressed shortly.

Perhaps the owners are starting to pay attention. The notice that Chelton cited when he started this thread no longer appears. It sure would be nice if someone from the ownership posted once in a while to let us know what's happening.

1 person likes this

Thank you for reporting these issues to us. We are actively working to resolve these issues and will keep you posted when we have more information.

3 people like this

22 minutes ago, PDF Supply said:

Thank you for reporting these issues to us. We are actively working to resolve these issues and will keep you posted when we have more information.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Steve Bailey said:

Perhaps the owners are starting to pay attention. The notice that Chelton cited when he started this thread no longer appears. It sure would be nice if someone from the ownership posted once in a while to let us know what's happening.

yes, that and couple of other things are fixed but there seem to be couple of things that are still outstanding. one new thing possibly related to updates is login issue, but this is where user feedback comes in, if any issues are spotted and not listed, please use this thread to report it. 

1 person likes this

It's starting to come back. 

Things still not working:

Can't tag, post emoji, or attach images. ( for non admins )

When logged in going to the forum index takes you to this link

https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/

but we get a page not working error.

Edited by chelton

yup... file transfer works but then the message show up:

"There was an error processing the uploaded file. Please contact us for assistance"

here is external link to screenshot:  https://ibb.co/K0Jt3NR

Bump... File uploads is the only major problem now ( desktop view anyway ) :-)

Forum is playing up again :shrug: The activity tab / All activity just displays something went wrong.

1 person likes this

When trying to upload a file now it shows "you are only allowed to upload 3.91mg" this pops up no matter what size file you try to upload.

I'm still not able to upload pictures. I can see from other posts that I'm not the only one. I don't get the error that chelton mentions. I just get either a freeze or "Something went wrong". 

Edited by IO_Rack