Colin Carpenter

GX Works 2 System Variable Use

5 posts in this topic

Please could someone tell if it's possible using GX Works 2 to find out how many  System Variables (M bits and D registers) have been used when I compile my programme, so that I can get a feel for the number left for any future expansion.

IEC Developer would always display the values after a "Build", but I just can't find the information in GX Works.

I must be missing something obvious, but just can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Hello,

Under the Find/Relace tab there is "Device List". This will show the used devices in the program.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thanks for that Dave,

I had a look at that and it seems like GX Works 2 allocates System Variable M Coils starting at the top address of the range and then working backwards. In my case the range from M8191 to M6613 is currently used, meaning that I now have 1,663 spare addresses (as I set the start point for system variables at M5000) before having to look at re-allocating ranges.

I'm constantly finding that GX Works 2, while better in some respects, has just lost a few of the more useful, simple functions that IEC has had for many years.

Cheers

The Device list will show you all used devices. If you want to know what the compiler used just check your output window after a compile

GX will always use the last devices from the ones reserved in the settings as a user will probably start from the beginning.

FYI If you use an iQ-R you will not need to reserve system vars as you don't need device addresses anymore, but you can if you want to

Thanks, I tried check my output window after a "Build" and even a "Rebuild All", but it shows nothing other than a few warnings. 

Do I have to enable something to get it to show me bits and words that have been used in the compile, as happens in the IEC Developer compile?