lironhallak

Check serial connection to Omron PLC

4 posts in this topic

Hello,
I am building an application in CitectSCADA and I want to communicate with an Omron Sysmac CS1G. The connection between the plc and the Citect computer is through an ethernet to serial adapter (the computer doesn't have com ports on board).
I'm having some difficulty establishing the communication and I want to make sure that I can actually reach the plc.
Is there a way to check that the computer can reach the plc over the serial connection without using CX programmer? Maybe using Hyper Terminal, Putty or something similar.

Thank you,
Liron

The first thing to check is the Ethernet to Serial adapter. Short pins 2 & 3 on the serial side then use any terminal program to check for loop back. (Echo characters as you type)

Thanks for the reply.

I have another computer with CX Programmer installed and with the same adapter I am able to connect to the plc. So the adapter itself is probably not the problem.

I tried using hyper terminal on the Citect computer but I had weird results - I was able to connect to the plc on all baud rates. No matter what settings I had in the hyper terminal it showed the status as connected.

HyperTerminal will show "Connected" when it opens the local port. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's communicating. 

1) Disconnect the cable from the PLC.

2) Short pins 2 & 3.

3) Connect HyperTerminal and change "Flow Control" to "None". Then type characters from the keyboard. You should see them in the HyperTerminal window.

If this is OK then I would start looking at the communications settings between Citect and the PLC. Make sure they match. Default should be 9600, 7, Even, 2.

Edited by IO_Rack