ArvindG

Time Stamped Data from CompactLogix to be Logged In .csv/excel file

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone ..

Is there a way to log the time stamp data from a compactlogix 1769L33erm PLC to a .csv or excel file in a computer ? The project consists a PanelViewPlus 6 Compact terminal as HMI . I have tried using the DataStorePlus object but as it logs periodically , its of no use to me ( or so I think ) . I need to log discrete time stamps for an input that is turned on or off by the operator like say a push button . Please share your views --is it possible and if yes then please advise correct way of doing it . I can work on any suggestions and try applying them to the machine when I visit the customer next week .

Thank you all in advance ,

Arvind

I've used the DataStorePlus before and I think you're right that it's periodic only. In the project tree, look for "Data Log" and try tinkering with that. I've never used it, but it looks like it can log an entry upon tag value change. You can set the storage path to a local or network directory.

I never was able to get the data out of the HMI onto a PC automatically. I know the DataStorePlus can write to a network location, but our network was locked down so that I couldn't access any outside destinations and the internal memory filled up very fast. I ended up disabling the logging.

Joe E., thank you for the reply ; I will sure try what you suggested and post my findings . Any more insights are highly appreciated .

Thanks all .

Arvind

@ArvindG The Download section of mrplc has several examples of using Excel to read from AB PLCs.  If what you what is the timestamp for off and the timestamp for on of a given input, I'd suggest the following.

In the PLC place the following rungs somewhere in your continuous routines

rung 1 -  XIC Input_Button ONS Button_Ons_1 GSV WallClockTime ? DateTime Input_On_Time[0] 

rung 2 - XIO Input_Button ONS Button_Ons_2 GSV WallClockTime ? DateTime Input_Off_Time[0] 

Using RSLinx DDE or OPCX set up Excel Cells Linked to Input_On_Time[0] through Input_On_Time[7] and Input_Off_Time[0] through Input_Off_Time[7]

Write a macro that checks the value of Input_ON_Time[7] against the previous value and if changed log a new time stamp entry.

Write a macro that checks the value of Input_OFF_Time[7] against the previous value and if changed log a new time stamp entry.

Note these continuously loping macro will need a DO_Events statement within them to not lock up the system.

I know this is a 1000 foot level description of an involved concept , but hopefully it gets you started.

BobLfoot , 

thank you for your interest and valuable insights ; I will be looking at the download section as you suggested and also the concept you described . 

I have a 'cycle start ' push button on the control panel . When the auto cycle finishes , the End Of Cycle bit turns off . For a start , I need to know if I can log the time stamps for the cycle start p.b. turning on and EOC turning off . This log needs to be on customers computer . I am assuming that if RSLinx is involved , then it must be installed on that computer and also the 'LITE' version I have will not do .

If absolutely necessary , I can have the customer buy RSLinx with required version ; it's just that I was trying to see if this can be done with existing configuration of PLC and HMI .

Thank you all ,

Arvind