Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Single Pair Ethernet

2 posts in this topic

Before you laugh and write me off, do a quick google search and a little reading.Try here for example - https://www.single-pair-ethernet.com/en.

Belden, Phoenix Contact, Rockwell, Hirschman, Fluke and others have developed a new Ethernet Standard for Industrial Automation with globally harmonized OPEN standards.  The tech uses a Single Pair conductor to carry TCP/IP POE Ethernet Traffic.  The first generation boasts 10MB/Sec at 1km (yes that's not a typo 1 kilometer) distance and 13W of power to the end use device.  Later second generation are specs are 1or2GB/sec and 3km with 50W Power.

Imagine a photoswitch or proximity switch with on-board ethernet and full diagnostics.  Imagine reporting to work each morning and receiving a report that says the following 6 sensors are expected to fail in the next 48 hours.  Using such a report you would be able to plan their replacement and avoid unplanned downtime.

NOW THE REASON FOR MY POST - Despite my diligent searching the technology appears to be 6-18 months from having market ready devices.  SO I'm opening this topic for anyone who comes across realistically usable hardware based on SBE and can post test results to do so here.  This tech can be the next quantum leap in Automation and I'm convinced the MRPLC User base can benefit. If we have the information.

the only trouble is that my imagination does not stop at 13 or 50W or 10MBps. :-D 

i'm imagining pair of thick wires going to a treehouse with electric grill, beer fridge, laser TV on in front, blazing internet machine on the right and view of a sunset over beach to the left... 

2 people like this