zc182

Questions about PLC capability

4 posts in this topic

I am in the construction field and would like to make a task more efficient.

If anyone is willing to share some information I would be grateful.

We would like a display or selector of some kind to have two inputs, one would be a quantity and the other is a stepper motor doing a calculated number of steps to turn a specific measurement on a rubber roller, let's call it 10,000 steps to go 30 inches in travel.  To illustrate, you hit the number 50 into quantity and the number 30_1/2" into size and then the roller turns enough to move a piece of wood 30_1/2", let's say that a saw blade comes down/up and cuts the piece, then the roller turns again to move another 30_1/2" and saws until all of the pieces of wood are cut, 50 in total.

Is it feasible to use a PLC, like an Automation Direct 'Click' series to handle all of the inputs (size and quantity), run each sequence, (roller turning, saw actuating), then return to a ready state for another set of inputs?

Looking for some consulting on this matter if this idea speaks to you.  Thanks.

Administratively moved this to the looking for services topic as more of the "right" people should see it here.

A PLC can definitely do what you describe.  We had several Metal Saws doing exactly that at a place I worked years ago.  With Rockwell SLC 500 Family PLC doing the job.

Hope you find a consultant to implement what you need.  and Welcome to MRPLC.COM.

If you are looking for someone to do this let me know. I worked on the exact saws Bob is talking about. We used old school PLC back in the day. Now we would use ethernet devices and run. 

PLCs are exactly what one would use for this and Click family has products with PTO