Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salman101

Digital counter display wiring to the output terminal

2 posts in this topic

Hi, I am using rather an old PLC (FPO-CT32) by Panasonic with FPWINPRO 7. It doesn't give out the option of activating a high-speed counter for the output channels. On the input side (X) I have attached a rotary optical encoder and using the high-speed counter channel as input from the encoder (which is a pulse train). After each complete revolution of the encoder shaft (500 pulses), I want the digital counter to display the count i.e. 1,2,3..and so on. I have developed the logic in the program but how do I use/interface the output channel (Y) with the digital display counter? I am using the basic digital display GDD797949AT (24-28v) with a six-pin connection on the back (2 pins for reset, 2 pins for supply, 1 pin for the up count, and 1 pin for the down count). Thanks

Edited by salman101

it is not FPO, it is FP0 ... make sure to use correct name since this limits help you can get, specially if even Google does not find products you have. so you may want to post links to datasheets.

high speed output is not required to drive counter but... without that, counting will be slow....

if scan time is 1ms, it will take a second to display value 500.to display 30000, it would take a minute. this is why if you intend to quickly show random value, you want high speed output for this.

to control the counter you would need at least two outputs, one to send pulses to be counted, another to reset the counter. 

you can get better results using three outputs (count up, count down and reset), specially in cases like yours.

exact interface would depend on products involved - do they have same voltage and signal polarity? if not some interface would be needed to to do level shifting or translation.