PaulKim1003

1756-L61 ControlLogix 5561 losing program

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I am having an issue with 1756-L61 ControlLogix 5561.

I just had a power outage and when i tried to go online, it says there is no program in the controller. 

The controller's revision is 17.3 and its battery indicator is red.

Does the controller lose its program when the batter goes low?

Is there anything that i can do  here?

Thank you for reading

On the series A the program was lost if the battery goes dead. On the series B, the battery is used strictly for the internal clock. The program would be stored in an internal flash memory. Not a compact flash card.

A quibble:  the 1756-L6x Series B modified the main board layout and some components, but not the way RAM was backed up.   The CompactFlash card moved to the front instead of the bottom, and the serial port moved slightly up.    The power consumption changed enough that the battery is different (higher capacity) and was given a blue shrink-wrap jacket and a different connector than Series A.   But Series B is so similar to Series A that there's no user programmable or firmware way to tell them apart.

The 1756-L7x controllers *did* change to an onboard no-removable flash device that stores the user program at power-down, so a dead battery will only affect the real-time clock.

Paul's situation is normal and ordinary;  the battery was dead, so when power went out the RAM was cleared.    He can store the program to the CF card or replace the battery.

Remember that the CF card on a 1756-L6x does not save the user program or tag values at power-down: it is functionally like an EEPROM and will re-load whatever firmware, program, and tags were stored in it when the memory image was loaded.

A clarification on the L7 controller: it doesn't have a battery, it has a removable Energy Storage Module (ESM) that is basically a capacitor. The ESM's job is to hold the value of the real-time wall clock, as well as the values of any retentive code instructions, with the power off for up to 5 days. 

On the L6, at least they were kind enough to finally mount the battery on the front of the controller card so you don't have to shut down to replace it.