BigSteve

Disable communication alarms on Panelview 800?

2 posts in this topic

I've got my first PanelMate to Panelview conversion done, but I am having a problem with the alarms; I get a random "2: Data Access Error for Alias XXXX, Controller PLC-1, Address is XXXX, Communication flag is 0", where XXXX is each of my thousand plus bits or analog values.  I have to hit OK about 20-40 times each time this pops up.  Is there any way to disable the communication alarm, or at least only display a general communication fault, and not one for each variable?

You may have alarms programmed for each of those digital and analog values. Each PanelView alarm has a tag (from the PLC), a trigger, and a trigger value for that tag. If you're getting that many (20 to 40) alarms simultaneously, it's likely that you're having a communication problems between the PLC and PanelView. Assuming that the PLC still runs OK when you get these alarms on the PanelView:

• Check the update rates on your tags in the PanelView's MED file.
  • Check the RPI rates of your I/O cards.
  • Check your scan times in the PLC and communication baud rates on your network.
  • And of course, check your comm cables' physical connections.

If this is the result of a generic communication alarm, and it happens to be "lighting up" for all of your tags simultaneously, you can disable the PanelView alarms functions while you troubleshoot the communications issue. From FactoryTalk Studio, go the very top "System" folder, and open "Startup". From there, uncheck the "Alarms" box and click OK. There are some more detailed alarm settings in the Systems Policies folder, but I think this should do the trick. You will still have to create a new MER file and download it to the PanelView. 

Hope this helps.