Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fEsTiDiOuS

CPT instructions on a PLC-5/40

3 posts in this topic

I'm working to fix/improve the functioning of a program running on an a PLC5/40E.  I think high Scan Times are a big problem with this current program.  ((Backstory:  someone added some quasi motion control, and it sort of worked for a while.  Now that it's broken, the operators of this machine want it back. ))  I'll keep my question simple, PLC5's are new to me:

There are 36 rungs with CPT instructions as the sole output, a third of these instruction are executed every scan.  I'm going to replace them with MOV instructions.

My question is, is there any sneaky PLC5 reason to do a CPT instead of a MOV?  Is there a better way to do this?

The CPT instructions that execute move integer values to a data file used by the HMI to control the coloration of touchscreen buttons.

Thank you for your time.

PS: I'm new-ish to this forum, please feel free to let me know if my question was asked correctly or not.

Using CPT when not necessary.png

Looks to me that CPTs could be replaced by MOVs.  Don't think it will solve your scan time issues.

I must say, I agree with @pcmccartney1 that scan time might not be your issue.  Have you looked at the status tab to see what the scan time is?

PLC5_Status_Main.PNG.fc8d0d5a7608ca680b3

I suspect it is more likely someone made a change that affected the motion program in unexpected ways.