Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mark papo

Compact Logix to Zebra ZT410 printer

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to get a Zebra ZT410 printer to print a time date stamp via a compact logix L19ER with TCP logic.  It appears to create, open write, close, and delete the socket but I never get any data going to the printer.  I have checked the printer setup and I did not find anything out of the ordinary.  My ZPL code is sound as it works fine on another line.  I also copied the TCP code from the aforementioned PLC.  Not sure what I am missing.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If I read this correctly CompactLogix_A uses TCP and ZPL to print on Zebra_ZT410_UnitA just fine.  You've cloned that setup to CompactLogix_B using TCP and ZPL to print on Zebra_ZT410_UnitB and it results in no printout despite the PLC side Comms appearing to complete normally.  In your shoes I would check the following:

1.Zebra A and Zebra B will need unique IP Addresses, do they and did you account for this in the cloning process?

2. Are you triggering the print with ZPL over TCP or just transmitting the data.  Check your print trigger circuit.  You may have buffered data waiting to be printed.

3. If you're code is not proprietary or confidential posting it here for others to review might also get you more responses.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, BobLfoot said:

If I read this correctly CompactLogix_A uses TCP and ZPL to print on Zebra_ZT410_UnitA just fine.  You've cloned that setup to CompactLogix_B using TCP and ZPL to print on Zebra_ZT410_UnitB and it results in no printout despite the PLC side Comms appearing to complete normally.  In your shoes I would check the following:

1.Zebra A and Zebra B will need unique IP Addresses, do they and did you account for this in the cloning process?

2. Are you triggering the print with ZPL over TCP or just transmitting the data.  Check your print trigger circuit.  You may have buffered data waiting to be printed.

3. If you're code is not proprietary or confidential posting it here for others to review might also get you more responses.

BobLfoot, what is the print trigger circuit? I've worked before with Zebras but haven't hear that term. I'm no expert, so that is why I'm asking.

@noeascencio I have not worked with the Zebra either and was basing my suggestions on other PLC pritner setups I've worked on.  It would appear that a Zebra over ethernet does not need a print trigger circuit.  I hope some others can give you more answers to your question.

Ok, what I know is that Zebras use ZPL language, it is used by serial, USB or Ethernet port, it's the exac same ascii data you send no matter what protocol, and that includes all the data needed to trigger the printer to print. Sometimes the hard part is just get the correct configuration to start transmiting the buffer data, once you got that, then printing is not that difficult, just have to use the ZPL programming languaje user manual and you will get what ever you need done. Easier if you've got an example to learn from, that's how I did it. I have only modified prints over Ethernet in a PLC, but not created one from the beggining, so I toughth I was missing something when you mentioned the print trigger circuit.

@mark papoI have not used an AB PLC to print from it, only Siemens, but should be very similar. Not sure if what you are saying is that you have two PLCs and one printer or two separate printers, one for each PLC. If you only have one, maybe thats the problem as you may have port interference issues. If you have two printers, then check that all the printer configurations are exactly the same as the first one, by the exception of the IP address.

Hello,

I have done this by using Ethernet IP and RS-232. Below link is for ref. You can mail me at Aniautomationindia@gmail.com for help.

Regards,

Anil Kumar