ragzz1995

Control Powerflex 525 with NJ301 with Ethernet/IP

23 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I would like to control Powerflex 525 drive with Omron NJ301-1200 PLC via Ethernet/IP (Set speed, start, stop). I've gotten until the part where I downloaded the necessary .eds files of the drive and imported into my Sysmac studio. However, I'm stuck after this point while assigning target variables and Originator variables and eventually setting speed and controlling the vfd. I've attached images for your reference.

Capture.PNG

Target variable is the Assembly Instance you are going to use ie 100 for input 150 for output.

The originator variables are the network variables that you will need to create.

It is best to create a structure then create a variable from the structure and assign it as an input/output network variable.

A little trick for seeing the Target variable.  Place your cursor in one of the Target Variable fields and hit CTRL+Space and it will show you the options.  Note that the originator variables will need to be the same size as the target variable assemblies.  You will need to declare them as Input or Output variables (under network publish column) in your global variable table and then register them on the Tag Set tab (Registration all after creating variables in Global Variables).  

1 person likes this

Hi,

I did create originator variable and linked it accordingly. 

@chelton I thought target variable for input is 1 and for output is 2 (For powerflex 525). Am i wrong? 

@chelton and @Michael Walsh are there predefined structures provided by AB/Omron for this or should i do the "word to bool" and "bool to word" conversion to read status and send control word.

Capture.PNG

@ragzz1995 You are correct, I was only giving an example. I haven't used a PF525 but had some time today to have a look. This sample input/output structure should help.

PF525_Input.thumb.png.255ed5c85bd18d4367PF525_Output.thumb.png.8e6d9c6e3233d6d9b

1 person likes this

My doc on general 3rd party connectivity on EtherNet/IP.

EIP Connection.pdf

1 person likes this

Hi @PMCR and @chelton,

Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it. I really wasn't excepting the Input/Output structure, guess it's my lucky day :)

@ragzz1995 I hope the structure worked for you. I needed a distraction. If it works/needs modification could you please post the results as I will save it to my library..

@ragzz1995 Did you have success about controlling your PowerFlex with your NJ ? I try to do the same thing with a NX but I miss something. I always have error with the comm. May you send me screen shot from the setting pages ? And maybe your Data Type pages ? 

1 hour ago, YvesDrapeau said:

@ragzz1995 Did you have success about controlling your PowerFlex with your NJ ? I try to do the same thing with a NX but I miss something. I always have error with the comm. May you send me screen shot from the setting pages ? And maybe your Data Type pages ? 

Even if there was an error in your data type it shouldn't affect the connection. You would simply get nonsensical data back from the device. In sysmac it simply cares about the sizes matching, not the data type layout. I often use byte arrays at first just to test a connection. I would start at a lower level if I were you. Have you tried an explicit message to those instances either from a PLC or a PC? Are there managed switches in between the devices? Are the IPs and subnets compatible?

@photovoltaic I find what it didn't work in my program. My EDS file wasn't the good one. It was for rev 1 to 5 and I have PowerFlex Rev6. When I change the eds file for the good one everything work good. 

Always good to get feedback when problem is resolved. Thank You Yves! :-2

44 minutes ago, MIBKID17 said:

I am getting this error

Capture1.PNG

This could be a number of things....

Have you verified:

The drive's IP & subnet?

The PLC's IP & subnet?

The connection between them? (use an unmanaged switch to start)

The EDS file rev vs the drive's rev?

Have you tested using the Generic EDS file ? - https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/files/file/1159-generic-eds-file-for-use-with-omron-plc/

This error makes me think the EDS file is a mismatch. You can confirm this by testing with the generic one. If the generic one works then you need a different EDS file (or just use the generic..).

Edited by photovoltaic

1 hour ago, photovoltaic said:

This could be a number of things....

Have you verified:

The drive's IP & subnet?

The PLC's IP & subnet?

The connection between them? (use an unmanaged switch to start)

The EDS file rev vs the drive's rev?

Have you tested using the Generic EDS file ? - https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/files/file/1159-generic-eds-file-for-use-with-omron-plc/

This error makes me think the EDS file is a mismatch. You can confirm this by testing with the generic one. If the generic one works then you need a different EDS file (or just use the generic..).

I set drive (ping good) 

I set plc (ping good)

EDS is same revision as the drive rev 6

found this img  would the size of byte creat this problem?

Capture3.PNG

Capture22.PNG

config.PNG

Edited by MIBKID17
add picture
1 person likes this

I've never used the Powerflex EDS but aren't the sizes specified for you when you pick the instance?

As a test can you oversize the input size by 4 bytes? You'll have to make a new variable for it.

Is your drive a 525?

FWIW, the code 0x0127 is specifically an error in the connection size for the output from the controller to the device.  This is common when the 32-bit header is not properly accommodated.  (I vaguely recall having this problem with Omron and having to fake it with an extra DINT in the structure).

1 hour ago, pturmel said:

FWIW, the code 0x0127 is specifically an error in the connection size for the output from the controller to the device.  This is common when the 32-bit header is not properly accommodated.  (I vaguely recall having this problem with Omron and having to fake it with an extra DINT in the structure).

The dreaded run/idle header bites us when an NJ (all firmwares) or an NX with firmware <1.21 is connected to a Rockwell PLC. We need to accommodate their header. I did mention to oversize the input by 4 bytes. I'm curious if that is the issue. @MIBKID17 did you test this?

@

Edited by photovoltaic

2 hours ago, photovoltaic said:

I did mention to oversize the input by 4 bytes

In this case it would be the output.  The Omron as scanner needs to supply the run/idle header to the drive.  And turn on the run mode bit within it.

2 hours ago, photovoltaic said:

We need to accommodate their header.

It isn't just Rockwell's.  It is part of the spec for devices that need to know that their owner (scanner) is actually running.  And whether to provide it and/or accept it is part of the EDS file, also in the spec.  This fault is entirely on Omron.