Jqd84983

Omron Peripheral Port CJ1M-22 PLC for OPC Data

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am very inexperienced with Omron hardware so apologies if this is a daft question.

I am trying to use Kepware to retrieve data from a CJ1M-22 PLC via the peripheral port using RS-232 and the Toolbus Kepware Driver. The RS-232 is provided by a Brainbox ES-246 Ethernet to RS-232 convertor.

I have no problem accessing the PLC using this peripheral port via the programming lead but I wanted to know if anyone had successfully pulled PLC data through this port?

Many thanks

John

1 person likes this

The peripheral port in the CJs uses ToolBus protocol. That being said, you can get a CS1W-CN118 cable to convert it to RS232C 9 pin DE.

Is the built in serial port already being used?

You could also add a CJ1W-SCU21 for 2 additional serial ports.

Edited by IO_Rack

It sounds like his hardware is good as he says he can upload / download through the port using CXP.  If Kepware's Toolbus driver works, then it should be a matter of configuring Kepware to get the data that you need.  Maybe someone in here is fluent with Kepware.

14 hours ago, IO_Rack said:

The peripheral port in the CJs uses ToolBus protocol. That being said, you can get a CS1W-CN118 cable to convert it to RS232C 9 pin DE.

Is the built in serial port already being used?

You could also add a CJ1W-SCU21 for 2 additional serial ports.

Thanks for the reply.

I have purchased a CS1W-CN118 converter (see picture) as the built in serial port is being used to drive an HMI. There is a CJ1W-SCU21 already fitted but I was reluctant to mess around with that unit as it is a validated pharmaceutical production machine and would give me issues in re-validation potentially by having to change the code to alter the port configurations. All i have currently done is chnage the Peripheral Port to ToolBus protocol.

Kepware is transmitting the bytes in Toolbus but I am getting a reply from the Brainbox unit constantly of FF FD 03 FF FD 00 FF FD 2C when the Kepware Toolbus driver transmits AC 01 to the device. I believe this is a Telnet code but I don't know what this is telling me currently. I have proved it is coming from the Brainbox by disconnecting from the PLC and attaching a Laptop to read the data using Terminal software. I can read the AC 01 value but still get the 9 bytes returned above so I am a little stuck at the moment. I am awaiting some tech support from BrainBox.

Cheers

John

Omron Lead.png

13 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

It sounds like his hardware is good as he says he can upload / download through the port using CXP.

I assumed a connection with the CS1W-CN226 for programming purposes only. I also assumed the CN226 would not do Host Link. (I was wrong). Either way that doesn't matter because:

20 hours ago, Jqd84983 said:

I am trying to use Kepware to retrieve data from a CJ1M-22 PLC via the peripheral port using RS-232 and the Toolbus Kepware Driver.

I didn't realize there was a third party Toolbus driver available. I thought Toolbus was proprietary to Omron.

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be), the CS1W-CN118 will not communicate via Toolbus without an additional converter cable.

Mr_PLC_Toolbus_Cables.thumb.JPG.19c412b4

Edited by IO_Rack

Update

After more work I realised that the Telnet error code ( FF FD 03 FF FD 00 FF FD 2C) was returned by the Brainbox unit. I therefore changed the configuration of the Brainbox to Raw TCP and this stopped the issue. On reconnecting to the Peripheral Port I am now receiving a response from the PLC of 00 (Null) if using the Toolbus protocol or Host Link protocol in Kepware. 

Do you think there is a setting somewhere in the PLC config (similar to Siemens) that has to ticked to allow Data access by external sources? I have scanned the PLC config and nothing obvious jumped out.

Everyone for Info I took the advice from the Kepware help files and purchased a CS1W-CN226 cable from the Brainbox RS232 to Ethernet converter to the Peripheral port. This solved the problem with Data flow and I started to get data returned immediately.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:55 AM, Jqd84983 said:

Do you think there is a setting somewhere in the PLC config (similar to Siemens) that has to ticked to allow Data access by external sources? I have scanned the PLC config and nothing obvious jumped out.

Glad you got it working and thank you for your response!

Which driver are you using in Kepware? (ToolBus or Host Link)