Jbls

Flow Meter on Micrologix 1400

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a three wire Hall-Sensor flow meter that I would like to monitor with my ML1400. From watching this tutorial from The Automation Store I believe I can figure out how to get flow rate once I have it wired up, but I am struggling in figuring out how to wire it. Currently, I have a 6V power supply going to the power wire, the signal wire going to IN0 along with a 10k pull up resistor between signal and power, and sensor ground going to DC COM 0. I am not getting any readings this way and would appreciate any help in figuring out where I went wrong.

Thank you.

The Micrologix 1400 inputs are 24VDC, 6 volt won't work. What is the maximum voltage of your sensor?

Working voltage on the sensor is 5-18V, I guess I had assumed that since analog input worked from 0-10V that it would work. I have a step up transformer that I could use to boost the signal - if I boosted it to 24V, is my wiring correct?

Probably cheapest to get a 24V hall effect sensor.  Transformers don't work with DC applications though there are isolators that may work.

It will depend on the sensor as to whether you need or what value the pull up resistor needs to be.

Hello Tim, you are correct - I should have been more precise with my wording. I have a DC-DC converter that I will be using to boost the signal.

A basic converter probably won't work.  They usually will have capacitors to help them smooth out the ripples that the high speed counter senses.  You need something like a optocoupler.  Maybe something like this.

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us?urile=pxc-oc-itemdetail:pid=2964270&library=usen&tab=1