Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
binfordw

Options for data storage

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am working on a project that involves an existing micrologix 1400 (1766-L32BXB) + a C400 panelview.  I was asked about recording data, one of the options being adding this unit to our network and storing info on a server location.  I am curious what my options will be, so I can hopefully narrow down the method I need to get information on.

These will be basic analog sensor readings, for the sole purpose of verifying in-spec readings at specific dates, should a process issue arise downstream at a later date.  

What would one of my best options for storing this data?

Thanks in advance

Crystal Reports or XL Reporter are good and easy to use options.

In our environment we use OSISOft PI Data Archive and PIVIsion.  They're not cheap, but the old saying you get what you pay for is true for them.  The support and results ahve been awesome. 

Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it.  I'm think I will try starting off with basic "and free!" rslinx to excel setup and see if I can pull that off through our network.  If that doesn't work out I might just log daily/shift single readings with the plc for now.

Edited by binfordw

I would urge you to use the OPC route for PLC --> Linx --> Excel and not the outmoded DDE.

OPC is a little clunkier to setup the first time, but the newer later versions of Excel don't support DDE.